Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Ignition Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Ignition Problems

Hey everybody, this is my first post on this forum and i'm hoping somebody knows how to help me.

Recently got a 2001 jeep cherokee sport. Drove it all around the past 2 weeks with not a problem. Pulled into a lot today, came back out in 5 minutes and went to start it and the ignition was basically locked. Steering wheel was locked too. I could get the key in but it would not turn one way or the other at all, to the point where the key would bend.

Now I know what you all are thinking, crank over on the wheel one way really hard or pump the breaks or do any combination etc. etc. but that didn't work at all. Had to get it towed (thanks AAA).

I was chatting with the driver and he said its a common problem, something about the coding between the keys and the ignition... and he was fairly certain it would require a entire new ignition&keys due to the code system.

I literally tried everything from different set of keys to unplugging/replugging the battery..

So has anybody had something like this happen to them? and will I really have to get a new ignition?

Currently the jeep is sitting in a parking lot with the windows down (they were down at the time of the failure) and its a sad sight, really hoping for a quick fix.

I know its a lot to ask, but any help would be appreciated.
Thanks guys
Old 03-31-2010, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Alright, I've looked around and it seems that people have had problems with bad tumblers in the lock cylinders, So i'm gonna go find some wd or kroil and give that a shot.