Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Idiot lights on 87 Cherokee Laredo

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Idiot lights on 87 Cherokee Laredo

Been looking for a few answers here on what lights are displayed to the left side of instrument cluster. Top light is obvious as Brake light, now the third one down comes up periodically it displays 2 horizontal waves (amber color). Also been looking for "Check Engine Light", is it located top center of dash between speedo and tach? No light coming up must be a bulb. Having some issues with idle fluctuating and was going to look for codes. New owner of a sweet looking lil Cherokee with great potential to make it a greater runner. Some alignment issues and emmision crap to deal with and one can't go wrong for $700 bucks.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:58 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Your pre 91 XJ has no OBD so no CEL and no port to plug into. The list of lights on the left of your dash are called telltails by Jeep. They are from top to bottom (som,e blocks have more than one light.
1- Brake/ seatbelt
2- Fulltime 4WD (if so equiped)
3- Part-time/washerfluid
4- Engine maintainence (timed to go off at 120,000 mile increments
5- Check Antilock Brakes (if so equiped0

Hope that answers your questions. BTW this is from my FSM.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by BlueXJ
Your pre 91 XJ has no OBD so no CEL and no port to plug into. The list of lights on the left of your dash are called telltails by Jeep. They are from top to bottom (som,e blocks have more than one light.
1- Brake/ seatbelt
2- Fulltime 4WD (if so equiped)
3- Part-time/washerfluid
4- Engine maintainence (timed to go off at 120,000 mile increments
5- Check Antilock Brakes (if so equiped0

Hope that answers your questions. BTW this is from my FSM.
Thanks for getting this straightened out for me BlueXJ. Just don't understand why all manual references and so called professionals would lead me to believe such an OBD test was possible through turning ignition ON/OFF-ON/OFF-ON and the CEL would luminate and flash codes. One sure can spend lots of time reading crap that doesn't pertain to anything you need or own. LOL, so whats the steps needed to test sensors on this model? Have a meter but haven't found any information on testing non OBD systems. Are they similiar with GMC using voltmeter and testing Volts, Ohms, resistance, etc. on their sensors?
Old 10-04-2008, 08:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 90
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Beyond Hope
Thanks for getting this straightened out for me BlueXJ. Just don't understand why all manual references and so called professionals would lead me to believe such an OBD test was possible through turning ignition ON/OFF-ON/OFF-ON and the CEL would luminate and flash codes. One sure can spend lots of time reading crap that doesn't pertain to anything you need or own. LOL, so whats the steps needed to test sensors on this model? Have a meter but haven't found any information on testing non OBD systems. Are they similiar with GMC using voltmeter and testing Volts, Ohms, resistance, etc. on their sensors?
After 91 there is a CEL light and you can do the Chryco key on-key off method. But the Renix system(87-90 XJs) use a multi meter to test the sensors. There is a write-up in the technical write-up section of this site showing a group of sites that will help.

One more thing... all of the spots are in the dash for all the lights but if your Jeep wasn't equipped with a certain feature originally than there won't be a bulb in that slot.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by whowey
After 91 there is a CEL light and you can do the Chryco key on-key off method. But the Renix system(87-90 XJs) use a multi meter to test the sensors. There is a write-up in the technical write-up section of this site showing a group of sites that will help.

One more thing... all of the spots are in the dash for all the lights but if your Jeep wasn't equipped with a certain feature originally than there won't be a bulb in that slot.
Thanks for all the pointers guys. Helped a whole bunch considering reading till my eyes nearly bled. Too bad it wasn't the right stuff, now I'm gonna try to decipher the 2 systems in my brain and get to testing some sensors issues. LOL