Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

idel prob

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default idel prob

someone help me out i got a 90 molde cherokee. i have replace just about every thing i can thing of. to fix this prob. at idle when you first start it it sets about 750 its all was been like that. some day i will start it and it will jump to 2g and stay there. cut it off and back on it norm. then going down the road it will sticks at 1.5g when i push the clutch in or pop it out of gear to shift without using the clutch.

another thing i have seen as well shifting without using the clutch is i cant shift form 1st to 2nd. and there i shift for 1st to 2nd where the rpm's are thats where it will pop out at going 2-3-4-5.

can someone fill me in on why it does that.

as for the main q i replace both sensers on the t body i took the t body off and rebuilt it and it still does it.

o can someone link me a pick to right over the air box i think a vac line is missing or crossed where it shouldn't be. had lots of power to the dealer got a hold of it.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:14 AM
CF Veteran

Mine does the same thing. I have yet to actually fix the problem but a very common answer to a problem like this is either the IAC (idle air control) or the TPS(throttle position sensor)

Mine usually does fine most of the time but once in a while it will rev really high and will not come back down until a couple restarts.

Nevermind.... I misread your question. You said you already changed the tps and iac?

how about the MAP sensor? Heard that can cause it too.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:23 AM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0L

didnt think about the map senser, none the less thinks for the help at lest i know that mine is not the only one doing it.

i hope my shop gets a bonus next month if so im pulling the motor and dropping a ls1 with a supercharger down in it. taken me way to long to get every thing motor, 5sp trans ,3 sp tcase, lock out hubs for the fornt, the last thing is my harness. but the motor coming out is going into a trail truck after a rebuild and im trying to pin down prob's so we know what to change when it happens.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:02 AM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

it is your TPS.

I had/have the same issue. and since i have the nice OBD2 system it threw me the code. Whenever it happens it throws the TPS/faulty ECM code. Then i can turn it off, sit for 30 seconds restart it, it will start like normal and the light will be gone and the code stored.

i also get a faulty battery temp sensor with it too.....