Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

I'd really like to get to my bumpers!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 01:23 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default I'd really like to get to my bumpers!!!

So I got up this morning with every intention to start fabbing the brackets for my rear bumper that I'm in the process of building. Some of you may have seen what I've done on the front, for those that haven't:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/coss-custom-bumper-build-phase-1-complete-10809/

I'm planning a rear bumper made the same way. Last weekend when I went to the Jeep to take it to the shop to do some bumper work, I noticed a coolant leak. Obviously that had to be addressed, so I fixed it. It turned out to be a loose Chinese clamp on the top hose at the rad. I picked up some quality clamps, and put on two. I figured that would be a good way to keep a spare, and keep the thing from leaking again. Back to the moral of the story: When I went to start the Jeep this morning...nothing...SWEEET!! I have been having some issues with the NSS for awhile now, and today it decided to become a little more than minor. Well, I know that this needs to be fixed, and what good are BA bumpers on a rig that won't start!! So, after monkeying with the shifter, I finally got it to start. I drove to the shop and immediately decided that today was the day that I would freshin up the NSS. I've had enough of these "little gremlins", so no time like the present. As I'm typing this, the assy is soaking in some citrus based degreaser, and I'm just trying to kill some time. It all came out pretty easy, and I found an excellent write up online to do it. It is just starting to get me a little heated that every time I plan on working on these bumpers, up pops something else to take up more of my dwindling time!! I guess this is the lifestyle that we have all chose to lead owning Jeeps and all, but crap...really?? OK, well it's off to put it all back together, and maybe, just maybe, get something done on the bumper!! LOL!! Thanks for letting me vent!!

Last edited by COSXJFAN; 03-01-2009 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Welcome to murphys law....!!!!!!!!!!I need to do this same thing as my reverse lights dont work...what size is the big nut holding it on and the little one that adjusts it?

On the other hand the front bumper looks awesome!! I bought some jeep parts from a old man who was a retired Mechanic/Welder and was showing my all the stuff he fabbed...his front bumper looked exactly like yours and the rear bumper he made had a built in receiver and spots for D-rings.......I think you could push a house with those bumpers........
Old 03-01-2009, 02:59 PM
Do you hear banjos?

There is a small one at the top of the NSS and it is a 12mm. The big one just clamps the fitting on to the actuator rod, and it is a 22mm. I am finished with it now, and it started right up. Here is the write up that I found:

http://jeepin.com/features/nss/index.asp

It is very good, so I didn't bother doing one. I followed the instructions to the T, and it was very easy!! FWIW, the Jeep wouldn't start when I killed it after getting here, and after the refresh of the NSS it fired right up!!
Old 03-01-2009, 04:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994

I here ya on misc problems that seem to surface when you have something else in mind for the rig, especially when you are working on something that isnt necessary (i.e. an appearance / functional improvement).

Bought mine and wanted to do the lift, but wait -

Do a tune up, wrong rotor.

Install plugs, heater valve breaks.

Complete tune up and run seafoam, starting issues.

Carpet is wet, pull carpet and discover vehicle has a water leak through the firewall. Check for leaks with hose and find every gasket on firewall seeps water. Silicone everything and cross fingers...

Order lift, radiator springs a leak.

Install radiator, wont fit. Order new radiator, thermostat housing leaks and tranny line leaks. Lift is delivered but I never notice because I am too busy messing with the radiator.

Install lift, driveshaft binds. Fab own t-case drop brackets with steel square tubing, one side distorts and crushes when torqued. Do again...

Re-install correct plugs (other ones - NGK's - were fine, but found the correct Champions for $1.50 ea and figured why not, its easy). Pulled plug wires and ripped boots....

And on and on and on........

Keep in mind I have only had the Jeep for a month.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

I have days like that every day...

At least you have that NSS all fixed now..
Old 03-01-2009, 04:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like everyone enjoys working on their playthings...

Bought mine for 900 bucks (been sitting for 2 years)

Overheats driving home (to much corrosion in radiator.... broke loose and clogged water jackets in head)

Replaced head gasket... coolant pouring through weep hole in water pump

Replace water pump... tires won't hold air

Replace tire with ones on my junk 87.... did'nt make sure lug nuts were tight enough... left front comes off at 45 mph

Replace damaged rotor and hub assy... went to get tags

Right front caliper locks up on way home from getting tags, smoked everything on that wheel

Replace right rotor, new calipers, new pads, and new hub assy on right

Begin bleeding brakes and blow out the right rear wheel cylinder

Do a complete rear brake job... develop a tick in the engine

Tick progresses into a symphony of hammers in the engines bottom end

Have 2 shops tell me motor is trash even with no compression loss

Pull trans and find busted flexplate
Attached Images  
Old 03-01-2009, 04:48 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0l

Hey, at least you all are getting to spend some "quality time" with your rigs. I seem to have problems with job and other responsibilities getting in the way of turning wrenches.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:56 PM

Year: 1988
Engine: stroked 4.0l

Sound like my day every day. by the way love the bumper design. love the flex plate dsign even more. hows that working for you!!!
Old 03-01-2009, 05:05 PM
CF Veteran

15 bucks for a used flexplate, 130 bucks for a new trans jack (any excuse to buy new tools right), and 8 hours of profanity in the driveway... and everythings good.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:25 PM

Year: 1996

At least you all can work on yours. Mine is at my dad's house cause he gave it to me after he wrecked it, which means I can't get it to my home yet. He's already tore it down some cause he was going to build it up as a toy. Luckily, his house is less than 5 miles from mine. I decided and planned to start working on it after I finished a bathroom remodel. Bathroom remodel took almost a week longer than planned (lack of motivation mostly). In the midst of that week, we had the ice storm of the century here. A week gone there staying at my wife's work so we could have electricity. Crazy schedule at work (thankful to be working though), busy weekends, birthdays, and so on and so on......

Hopefully soon though, I'll be starting a build thread chronicling the whole process.

Last edited by knobturner75; 03-01-2009 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:48 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by winston427
15 bucks for a used flexplate, 130 bucks for a new trans jack (any excuse to buy new tools right), and 8 hours of profanity in the driveway... and everythings good.
did that flex plate noise get louder with more RPM?
Old 03-01-2009, 06:04 PM
Do you hear banjos?

It's happened to me before on a 1979 Cutlas, and yes, it sounds just like a spun rod bearing or some other catastrophic engine issue!! I thought I was going to lose my engine, so I just started driving it like it was stolen. One night I pulled up to a light, and BOOM, the flex plate gave way. Low and behold, the motor still sounded great!! Live and learn I reckond!!
Old 03-01-2009, 08:21 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 98 JeepJeep
did that flex plate noise get louder with more RPM?

Actually the noise was worse at idle. When the rpms came up the tension against the edges kept it locked in place. Not that there was much of an edge for it to catch.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:07 PM
CF Veteran

Cosxjfan

Any chance we can get some diagrams for those bumpers?? in case we would want to attempt it?
Old 03-03-2009, 12:55 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994

[quote=knobturner75;133732]At least you all can work on yours. quote]

I dont really want to work on mine, I just want to drive the damn thing and not worry about fixing something else.

Its a Jeep thing......

Quick Reply: I'd really like to get to my bumpers!!!