Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

I think I need help

Old 02-15-2011, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: IL6
Default I think I need help

So, I got a Jeep, wanting to learn to work on it. I am not a gearhead, but I have a daily driver and I thought it would be fun. It was cheap and then I spent some money getting it checked out and repairing a blown head gasket and radiator. The mechanic also replaced the ignition coil. So, 25 miles after leaving the shop, I'm looking at a check engine light(misfire cylinder #2). I replaced plugs, cap, rotor, air filter, re-gapped the plugs and I'm still getting it. There is no smoke, no leaks and it runs quite well, except that when its warmed up well, the misfire shows off and it gets a bit jerky. It always starts and hasn't left me anywhere. I was going to use seafoam, but I thought to take it in first to be have the mechanic double check the work that was done. Everything I read pointed to either ignition coil or a leaky valve(I checked the fuel injectors and added gumout and octane booster, too). So, I take it and ask them to check their work and do a compression test. The compression in #2 was low and we SUSPECT a valve problem. I could be wrong( I hope I am), but is that not something that you would look at if you were already repairing the head? Without someone having to specifically say check the valves?

Anyhow, other than seafoam, what else could I do? Other than checking the valves myself? Like I said, other than the misfire, the thing runs really well. I have more budget, but I wanted to do something with the suspension Thanks in advance.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

a bad valve is not something you can just look at and say its bad unless there bent or there are knicks in the valve surface so really a visual inspection will not really valve train function problems,this would of benn more in the valve job repair department as you just did a head gasket replacement
Old 02-15-2011, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: IL6

I see, well thanks for clearing that up. I guess I figured since they are both major engine work and labor intensive it would be something to check while doing a diganostic workup, but no harm, no foul, I bought it blind, so I get what I get.

I'll figure this out, stay tuned.