Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

I NEED HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 01:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I NEED HELP!

I put a winch and bumper on my 96 XJ,4.0,auto and it dropped the front down. First off I have a 3in RC lift with bastard pack in the rear. Its the standard lift with coils and shocks. I put in 2in teraflex spacers today and now my power steering whines and its a little harder to steer. I have a hd RC damper on it. It didn't do this before the spacers. There is alot of air in the steering pump. What could be causing this. I'm supposed to go wheeling this weekend and don't know if I should now.Please help.Thanks.When I first started it my steering wheel would'nt move so I opened the pump cap and alot of air came out and is full of bubbles. It turns ok now but still whines every time i turn the wheel.

Last edited by troy fritz; 04-29-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Pump decided to crap out on you, or a hose got cut. May have done something to the steering box when the bumper was installed. Caster could be off, hard steering. Winches are heavy, main reason leveling spacers were created, BB lift was a afterthought and a bonus.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:59 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 93gc40
Pump decided to crap out on you, or a hose got cut. May have done something to the steering box when the bumper was installed. Caster could be off, hard steering. Winches are heavy, main reason leveling spacers were created, BB lift was a afterthought and a bonus.
Would it work fine and then all a sudden not?It worked great when I pulled it in the garage and when I pulled it out not so great.There are no leaks anywhere.When it warms up its a little quieter.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

Yes, just like a light bulb.. I would make sure something didn't get put into a bind when the bumper was installed, or a hose got pinched. I'd go back over any work that gas been done at about the same time you noticed the problem, it either has something to do with that or it just decided to fail at the sametime. the tightness Could be a bad TRE or ball joint. The air in the pump is either a leak or cavitation caused by the excess presure required to overcome the binding.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:01 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 93gc40
Yes, just like a light bulb.. I would make sure something didn't get put into a bind when the bumper was installed, or a hose got pinched. I'd go back over any work that gas been done at about the same time you noticed the problem, it either has something to do with that or it just decided to fail at the sametime. the tightness Could be a bad TRE or ball joint. The air in the pump is either a leak or cavitation caused by the excess presure required to overcome the binding.
When I installed the bumper the gear box stayed in place and never moved at all and no lines were touched. I did turn the wheel with the motor off lock to lock several times to get to bolts and on the last turn it shot fluid out of the pump cap. Thats the only place I see any fluid .Could that have hurt something when I did that?When you cold start it it whines very oud til it warms up ,you dont even have to touch the wheel. After it warms then it only does it when you turn the wheel.I have an extra pump,do you think I should try that.Also my buddy said to put conditioner in it,will this help?Sorry for all the blabbering but I need to get this fixed.Thanks again for your help.

Last edited by troy fritz; 04-30-2010 at 12:05 AM.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:54 AM
CF Veteran

I bled the system and replaced the pump cap and all seems well so far. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:46 PM

Year: 1988
Wink

Its a JEEP! Wa da Ya Want PERfEctIOn?