Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

I just gotta know

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 01:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default I just gotta know

So I'm thinking of swapping my Isuzu Amigo for a Jeep XJ. I know, I know, but don't hurt me. Anyway, is there a difference between the sport/classic/country as far as the drivetrain and suspension are concerned? I found a bunch, but for some reason I want to say the sport is nicer. Any help would be great. Thanks guys
Old 10-31-2008, 03:19 AM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Originally Posted by rabbidcow55
So I'm thinking of swapping my Isuzu Amigo for a Jeep XJ. I know, I know, but don't hurt me. Anyway, is there a difference between the sport/classic/country as far as the drivetrain and suspension are concerned? I found a bunch, but for some reason I want to say the sport is nicer. Any help would be great. Thanks guys
This was different for different years. Some years the trim level stopped sooner than in other years. In a particuler year it could stop at Limited and other years it went to Sport.

Pretty much any driveline item was available at any trim level if ordered as such.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:11 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Liter L6

Most of the difference is the interior trim, other than that, the better drivetrain most had to offer was a 242 case that can easily be identified by looking at the selector lever. A 242 has 2 hi, 4 part time, 4 full time, neutral, and 4 lo. I have had a few different ones and that case seems to be the best of the ones I have had... Other than that, you just need to be thorough when looking it over to be sure you get a good deal. The Laredo or Country were the nicer options in most of the early models while the classic or limited were to the newer