Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

I have a stupid question about the interior lights.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default I have a stupid question about the interior lights.

So I have had my 98 for few months now and I only drive it once or twice a week. Is there a way to cut the interior lights off when the door is open. Ive tried turning the dimmer switch till it clicked. Ive tried to push on the lens cover but when I open the door the lights still come on. I tried looking in the owners manual and it only mentioned the rear cargo light saying nothing about the map lights. Am I missing something here or is there no way to cut the lights off with the door open.

It isnt often but occasionally I need to be able to leave my doors open while working on it or sitting in the back and would like to be able to do so without the interior lights being on.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have not found a way to get the lights to turn off with the front doors open. I don't think it's an option with the factory settings. I've been thinking of trying to figure out how to install an inline switch to turn them off manually. Maybe someone else will chime in with a better method though.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

Originally Posted by what guns
So I have had my 98 for few months now and I only drive it once or twice a week. Is there a way to cut the interior lights off when the door is open. Ive tried turning the dimmer switch till it clicked. Ive tried to push on the lens cover but when I open the door the lights still come on. I tried looking in the owners manual and it only mentioned the rear cargo light saying nothing about the map lights. Am I missing something here or is there no way to cut the lights off with the door open.

It isnt often but occasionally I need to be able to leave my doors open while working on it or sitting in the back and would like to be able to do so without the interior lights being on.
You have (2) options.

1) put tape over door plunger switch
2) remove door plunger switch with, iirc, a 8mm or 10mm socket

Or option 3) find a wiring diagram for the lighting and install a switch inline with the lighting
Old 12-08-2015, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by sycoglitch
You have (2) options.

1) put tape over door plunger switch
2) remove door plunger switch with, iirc, a 8mm or 10mm socket

Or option 3) find a wiring diagram for the lighting and install a switch inline with the lighting
Well at least I know Im not asking a stupid question after all. Not being able to cut them off is dumb. Somewhere in bowels of the Chrysler engineering department is an engineer that needs to be smacked up side his head.

I can live with it as it is. If I need to leave them open without draining the battery I will just tape the switch. Occasionally I like to go into stealth mode and opening the door at night turns the interior into a beacon so I may install an inline switch but its not really an issue so I doubt I will ever get around to it. Thanks for the response.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:01 PM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Easiest way may be to replace the door plunger with a locking one. Can find them in the junkyard on Volvos, my 1991 wagon had them. Push the plunger in and give 1/4 turn, it stays depressed.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1994 SE

I've been considering adding an inline switch as well. Glad to see I'm not the only one that this annoys.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:34 PM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

Originally Posted by jay_sco
I've been considering adding an inline switch as well. Glad to see I'm not the only one that this annoys.
Ground interrupt would be the easiest way to rig a switch.
Old 12-08-2015, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by SteveMongr
Easiest way may be to replace the door plunger with a locking one. Can find them in the junkyard on Volvos, my 1991 wagon had them. Push the plunger in and give 1/4 turn, it stays depressed.
Now thats a good idea. If I want them to stay off just leave them in the locked position and you dont need tape or have to cut into the wiring. Have you actually done this swap and was pretty straight forward. If not did the plunger on your Volvo look to be close to the same size and length as the plungers on an XJ.
Old 12-08-2015, 04:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

I removed every single bulb that would drain my battery if something is left open. Glove box, under hood, all of them.
Old 12-08-2015, 04:51 PM
Banned

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1992

I just unplug my door plunger. Only takes about 30 seconds including finding a wrench
Old 12-08-2015, 06:03 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

In the rear the light lens is a switch. Push it in to shut the lights off while the rear hatch is open. Thats how my 98s works.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:20 PM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by what guns
Not being able to cut them off is dumb. Somewhere in bowels of the Chrysler engineering department is an engineer that needs to be smacked up side his head.
Maybe it's the same guy who designed the HVAC system with no recirculate mode except for the A/C. (At least that's the way it looks to me on my '99, I don't have an owner's manual.)
Old 12-08-2015, 09:48 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by Rambler65
Maybe it's the same guy who designed the HVAC system with no recirculate mode except for the A/C. (At least that's the way it looks to me on my '99, I don't have an owner's manual.)
Thats a very common design in the 90s. My 98 Taurus wagon had that "feature" and so does my 99. If your on recirculation you probably want ac anyways as it will just fog the vehicle up.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:53 PM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by toasterknight
Thats a very common design in the 90s. My 98 Taurus wagon had that "feature" and so does my 99. If your on recirculation you probably want ac anyways as it will just fog the vehicle up.
The wife is very sensitive to things like soot/smell from diesels so as soon as she sees a semi or a bus she's reaching for the recirculate button. That didn't go over well in the XJ! (In her own car she'll tend to leave it on recirculate all the time if I don't change it when she's not looking.)
Old 12-08-2015, 11:10 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0L I6

Tell her to put it on ac and just adjust the temp then.

Quick Reply: I have a stupid question about the interior lights.