Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

I FEEL SCREWED. Need assistance please

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default I FEEL SCREWED. Need assistance please

Okay, so first off I pulled an idiot move on my part and purchased a used block from someone for my 1999 XJ for $50 (had a hole in the #6 piston, and didn't have any accessories or parts just oil pan) and trusted they weren't steering me wrong without doing my research since he seemed like a pretty reputable person doing personal things out of his shop and having a business card, and having XJ's all over his property, and having some pretty serious off-road rigs..

I spent $1,433.97 just rebuilding the shortblock, having it bored over, new rods, pistons, turned the crank, all new bearings, seals, freeze plugs, gaskets, new cam, a totally new shortblock.

Well, here's the kicker, I finally had the time to get the old motor with the hole in the block, and my freshly rebuilt block together, to swap over all the brackets and the head to get it ready to go into the jeep, and get it up for sale. The casting numbers on the block i purchased and rebuilt is
53010328AB
which is showing on google to be for 99-04 GRAND CHEROKEE, and 00-06 Wrangler VIN S. block?

I contacted the man I bought the block from and reminded him that he told me it came out of a 1999 XJ, but in reality it was not, and now i'm probably stuck with a block i can not use and I read this to him from what i saw online.
" TJ/WJ 4.0L engine blocks underwent clean sheet design changes effective in the 1999 WJ grand and 2000 TJ Wrangler. These blocks are not interchangeable with the XJ/ZJ engine blocks. the reason is motor mount bolt holes and belt driven accessory mounting bolt holes are in different locations, or not present at all, TJ/WJ vs XJ/ZJ"

I will include pictures of the new block.

does ANYONE know if there is a way/ or a website or a business I can call that I can be definitive on which jeep this casting number was for, so i can get the proper accessory mounting brackets, and possibly motor mounts to make this block fit inside my XJ after all the money I have already spent?

Or am I at a total loss here?
Attached Thumbnails I FEEL SCREWED. Need assistance please-important2.jpg   I FEEL SCREWED. Need assistance please-important-3.jpg   I FEEL SCREWED. Need assistance please-important.jpg   I FEEL SCREWED. Need assistance please-img_2135-002-.jpg   I FEEL SCREWED. Need assistance please-img_2134-002-.jpg  

I FEEL SCREWED. Need assistance please-img_2132-002-.jpg   I FEEL SCREWED. Need assistance please-img_2143-002-.png  
Old 09-25-2017, 01:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

I did a little searching because I was curious, I thought the blocks were the same.
What I have found so far:

For the motor mounts, Brown Dog Off-Road apparently used to make adapter mounts to install a WJ engine in an XJ, but I can't find a part number. You could try contacting them.

You may have to use a WJ water pump because of the mounting holes on the block.

The oil filter on the new motor may contact the body of the XJ, you might need a different adapter or a relocation kit.

Hope that helps a little.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:23 PM

Year: 1999

Maybe a useful nugget or two here:

http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=168732
Old 09-25-2017, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by timberwolf
I did a little searching because I was curious, I thought the blocks were the same.
What I have found so far:

For the motor mounts, Brown Dog Off-Road apparently used to make adapter mounts to install a WJ engine in an XJ, but I can't find a part number. You could try contacting them.

You may have to use a WJ water pump because of the mounting holes on the block.

The oil filter on the new motor may contact the body of the XJ, you might need a different adapter or a relocation kit.

Hope that helps a little.
I will see what I can dig up myself. I have zero issues with cutting fender liners, or even attempting to do an oil filter relocation kit. the most odd thing to me, is why in the hell doesn't this block have a place for an oil pressure sensor? lol
Old 09-25-2017, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Motojunky
Maybe a useful nugget or two here:

http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=168732
holy ****... uhhh I'm not really looking to grind or modify my block to get stuff to fit, buttttt. I mean... I am selling it the jeep lol

i wonder if anyone has shot this with pictures?
Old 09-25-2017, 04:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998

Have you considered trying to sell your fresh new engine to someone with a WJ or TJ?
Old 09-25-2017, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by wizardpc
Have you considered trying to sell your fresh new engine to someone with a WJ or TJ?
I have been kicking it around, but I doubt they'll want to pay me exactly what I put into it, but its still cheaper than what you can find online most of the time.

Have the full receipts for what I paid in parts and labor SO FAR. but of course no one is gonna want to pay what I paid!
Old 09-25-2017, 08:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Dillon Neufeld
the most odd thing to me, is why in the hell doesn't this block have a place for an oil pressure sensor? lol
That style block used the threaded boss at the rear of the block, just below the chain in the first photo.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by fb97xj1
That style block used the threaded boss at the rear of the block, just below the chain in the first photo.
Thanks for the info, basically just unscrew the plug that is there, and insert my old sensor from the other block?

They should be the same sensor I'm assuming.

I guess I'm either going to sell this block or just take the time to modify it, or spend money on the right brackets, and pray it all works. Not feeling very optimistic though haha
Old 09-26-2017, 03:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Dillon Neufeld
Thanks for the info, basically just unscrew the plug that is there, and insert my old sensor from the other block?

They should be the same sensor I'm assuming.

I guess I'm either going to sell this block or just take the time to modify it, or spend money on the right brackets, and pray it all works. Not feeling very optimistic though haha
According to Rockauto atleast, the oil pressure senders are the same for 99-01 XJ, 99-02 Grand and Wrangler. Before and after show a different part number for all 3.

Make a list of what it needs to make it work, versus what it would cost to start over. You could always find another block and swap parts. Pick whatever works best for you.