Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

I am new to the forum and need help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Unhappy I am new to the forum and need help!

Hello, I am new to this forum, and I am so glad to have found a site where people are as passionate about their jeeps as I am! My family thinks I am crazy, but I don't care.
This week, my heart was broken because my 17 year old jeep Cherokee Counrty died. That has been hard for me. I even wrote an Ode to my Jeep which I will post later.
Anyway, I wanted some advice as I was able to locate, in my state, a 2001 Cherokee with standard transmission, which is what I drive and what my jeep was. They are hard to find, but it has 241,000 miles + on it. It rides well, the standard rust, less than mine had, but I am not sure what I should be looking for specifically. Mine only had 168,000 but has several issues, and it is too much to fix.
Can anyone here give me some tips on what I should be looking for? It rides really well, but has the typical stuff that an old jeep has, some of the dash lights don't go on like when it is in 4 drive, mine did that, window issues that they are going to fix, and the air doesn't blow cold which they need to look at as well.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Old 08-19-2012, 07:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

Unless you are prepared to put a head on it, or even a whole engine, I can't recommend buying a Jeep of that model year with that many miles and that engine. Try searching for posts on the 0331 head.

There are better Jeeps out there. Don't get in a hurry.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:37 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

that model year may have a head that is prone to cracking here are some things to read about it
http://www.google.com/search?q=chero...hrome&ie=UTF-8

on the a/c issue not for sure but a common failure item is the evaporator coil which requires a partial removal of the dashboard. I just did it on my 98 and if i can do it anyone can. time consuming but not brutal. there is a person with the screenname olblue that can send you a writeup on how to do it, should you decide to purchase this truck.
im sure someone will write in telling you how to identify the problem head, it involves looking for a casting # on it and doing an inspection thru the oil fill hole
Old 08-19-2012, 08:29 PM

Thanks so much. Actually, this is what happened to my '95 even though I do not believe it had the faulty 0331. Thanks to your advice, I have also read that not all fail, and that they fail earlier that 241,000. If I do manage to see if it is the 0331, can I have it replaced before the car overheats? Any idea how much that would cost? If I could wait, I would but I need a car. And are there many manual Cherokees out there?
Old 08-19-2012, 08:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1988

You want too now what it would cost to replace the head on a jeep that you don't own that doesn't need it yet?? Why not fix the one you "love"
Old 08-19-2012, 09:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

Originally Posted by Sasita
Thanks so much. Actually, this is what happened to my '95 even though I do not believe it had the faulty 0331. Thanks to your advice, I have also read that not all fail, and that they fail earlier that 241,000. If I do manage to see if it is the 0331, can I have it replaced before the car overheats? Any idea how much that would cost? If I could wait, I would but I need a car. And are there many manual Cherokees out there?
I wouldn't believe everything I read.

Too many fail to be called an acceptable risk. They are all ticking time bombs. Besides, who would want to buy a rustbucket Jeep?

Spend your money on something else.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:17 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993

What's wrong with your old one?
Old 08-19-2012, 11:37 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 L6
Smile

Correct me if I'm wrong, but mid-year didn't Chrysler remedy the infamous 0331 head with the 0331 "tuppy?" not trying to thread jack but just thought a small glimmer of hope was in order for any and all 01's...either way there's lots f other Cherokees you can find that are almost highway robbery cheap! Keep hunting and don't look back!!
Old 08-19-2012, 11:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I was able to locate, in my state, a 2001 Cherokee with standard transmission, which is what I drive and what my jeep was. They are hard to find, but it has 241,000 miles + on it. It rides well, the standard rust, less than mine had, but I am not sure what I should be looking for specifically.
Is it priced well enough so that you could afford to replace the head and/or do other work if necessary?
The fact is- none of these XJ's are new anymore, and a 50K mile Jeep that was poorly maintained is likely a worse bet than a 250K Jeep that has been religiously cared for.
Your job is to figure out whether or not this one was, and whether the price is attractive for what it is.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:18 PM

Red face

I want to thank everyone for their replies, and the different opinions I got. Thanks for the scoop on the 0331. A little background: I bought a new 08 Patriot(built for me) that leaked like a sieve, and had to go though the lemon law to get it bought back. I loved my Patriot as much as I loved my 95 Cherokee. As a result, when I pulled out my old Cherokee again, I began researching cars. My "problem" is that I only drive stick, and I won't settle. I would consider a Pat again, but they have not resolved the water leak issue. (NJ law firm just filed a class action suit against Chrysler for this btw) I am also.not a wrangler or compass girl. And quite frankly, they just dont build engunes like these Cherokee ones anymore. (ok, dont judge, I am not an expert) So, long story short, as I pulled into the Subaru dealership today, I got a call about the 01 Cherokee that all the issues had been addressed (I was going to "settle"for a manual Outback cause I need a car). After discussining this with my mechanic, he convinced me that we would deal with whatever the 01 Cherokee might bring. At this point I am much more willing to put money into an 01 than a 95, and not buy a much more expensive car that I am just settling for) And the bottom line is that you take a risk with any car,as my story points out. I guess I am just willing to take it for this car. Wish me luck!
Old 08-21-2012, 05:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

If your hearts set on another Cherokee, and a newer body style then look around for a 97 through 99 with the manual trans. Craigslist and Jeep forums will be your best bet.

Sounds as if your somewhere in the rust belt. Shop for something outside of this and be willing to travel to get it.

Your mechanic wont be working for free, of course he's willing to do whatever it needs as it comes.

You'v found a vehicle specific forum which happens to specialize on the type and model of vehicle you prefer. Take the advice to heart and do some research. Dont settle for a high mileage rustbucket because it happens to be convenient.