Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

HYDROLOCKED advice please!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 12:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default HYDROLOCKED advice please!

Went wheeling tonight.. hit a hole a little to hard.. Jeep stalled and that was the end of old rojo's engine. Shes locked up. Took spark plugs out. Only water i could see was in first cylinder. tried cranking without spark it just wont move. So as a BROKE college kid, who loves his jeep, and wants to fix it. I need the best advice and cheapest to get this beast back on the road. Get a junk yard head? Try and find the bent rod or valve? or could it be something else? Is there another way i could trouble shoot this?.. im so desperate i sucked the water in the piston and intake with a piece of my vacuum hose... i have burns all over my mouth and i just want to get this thing running. any help please its my DD to get to work.

(btw. if your going to suck 220 degree water out of your cylinders be prepared for it.. i nearly puked)
Old 08-16-2010, 05:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 I6

you cannot get the pistons to move in the cylinder? did your starter fry? if the bottom end is locked up and your starter is good, you might've bent a connecting rod.

i would verify what got bent first though
Old 08-16-2010, 07:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995

Put dry gas right into the cylinder and keep trying to turn it over.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 stock

You could have pulled the spark plugs and cranked the motor to get the water out... Replace the plugs, crank and (if your lucky) drive off.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:20 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by razor02097
You could have pulled the spark plugs and cranked the motor to get the water out... Replace the plugs, crank and (if your lucky) drive off.
It says he tried that.

Dry gas or something that displaces water.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:21 AM
CF Veteran

I thought he said he took them out to inspect. I hate to say it but if it won't move with the spark plug out then displacing the water isn't going to do anything.

Last edited by razor02097; 08-16-2010 at 09:24 AM.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:25 AM
CF Veteran

This happened in my friends SI, same problem, walked to a hardware store, got dry gas, dumped it in, cranked it about 5 time, nothing, put a little more in, cranked and it came to life.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:31 AM
CF Veteran

OP, you need to find why the motor is locked up. With the spark plugs out can you crank the motor with the starter? How about with a breaker bar on the hub?

Nothing you pour in is going to help if the motor does not crank.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:43 AM
CF Veteran

OP, you need to find why the motor is locked up. With the spark plugs out can you crank the motor with the starter? How about with a breaker bar on the hub?

Nothing you pour in is going to help if the motor does not crank.
Youve never been hydro locked before have you?

Once a cylinder fills with water, the compression stroke jams or “locks” the engine (because water does not compress) and the engine cannot spin, Dry gas will actually evaporate the water, then the intake stroke will continue as it would have, the compression stroke with dry gas will essentially evaporate most of it and mix in the rest for a semi combustable solution, the power stroke will incinerate most of it and or turn it to high pressure/temperature steam(very very microscopic amount) and allow it to exit in the exhaust stroke.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:49 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Diesel
Youve never been hydro locked before have you?

Once a cylinder fills with water, the compression stroke jams or “locks” the engine (because water does not compress) and the engine cannot spin, Dry gas will actually evaporate the water, then the intake stroke will continue as it would have, the compression stroke with dry gas will essentially evaporate most of it and mix in the rest for a semi combustable solution, the power stroke will incinerate most of it and or turn it to high pressure/temperature steam(very very microscopic amount) and allow it to exit in the exhaust stroke.

If the motor won't crank without the spark plugs in what will drygas do? You don't have compression when the spark plugs are out. If he tried cranking it without spark plugs to evacuate the water and it did not crank then pouring drygas in will not fix his problem.

He needs to figure out why the motor is locked up.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:59 AM
CF Veteran

If the motor won't crank without the spark plugs in what will drygas do? You don't have compression when the spark plugs are out. If he tried cranking it without spark plugs to evacuate the water and it did not crank then pouring drygas in will not fix his problem.

He needs to figure out why the motor is locked up.

The most cranking it without the plugs will do is tell you if, in fact, it is hydro locked. If you turn the motor over while looking down the spark plug hole, if they shoot fluid out the hole as you turn it over you hydro locked it, pour in dry gas and turn the cylinder over until all the water is out and then put a new set of plugs in and start it up. If you got a knock then you bent a connecting rod. Listen for metal hitting metal as you turn it over by hand if something is hitting while you turn it over by hand, dont' start it. You may have bent or dropped a valve.

I use "Pyroil", it has upper cylinder lubricants to keep from siezure but it's a lot more volitile under pressure than gasoline so it will kick the motor off a lot faster than the fuel, if you can get it to start with ether with an influx of gasoline you should be able to burn that crap out of there with no problems.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:15 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Diesel
The most cranking it without the plugs will do is tell you if, in fact, it is hydro locked. If you turn the motor over while looking down the spark plug hole, if they shoot fluid out the hole as you turn it over you hydro locked it, pour in dry gas and turn the cylinder over until all the water is out and then put a new set of plugs in and start it up. If you got a knock then you bent a connecting rod. Listen for metal hitting metal as you turn it over by hand if something is hitting while you turn it over by hand, dont' start it. You may have bent or dropped a valve.

I use "Pyroil", it has upper cylinder lubricants to keep from siezure but it's a lot more volitile under pressure than gasoline so it will kick the motor off a lot faster than the fuel, if you can get it to start with ether with an influx of gasoline you should be able to burn that crap out of there with no problems.
Um... no cranking without spark plugs is how you evacuate the water out of the cylinders. How can he try turn the cylinder over if the motor is locked?
This is why I said if the motor is locked there isn't a product you pour in to make it start.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

Um... no cranking without spark plugs is how you evacuate the water out of the cylinders. How can he try turn the cylinder over if the motor is locked?
This is why I said if the motor is locked there isn't a product you pour in to make it start.
X 2, if the motor can't be turned by the starter or by hand, it's done.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:20 AM
CF Veteran

Yes and no, almost 100% of the time it will not rid all of the fluid.

The dry gas should evaporat any left over fluid and allow it to turn after cranking it a few times. Worded better?
Old 08-16-2010, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

try putting a long ratchet and socket on the crank bolt and see if you can turn the motor backwards then fowards. if it turns backwards and not fowards then you may have bent a valve. last one i hydro locked i could it backwards to a point then it would stop found out that i had bent the piston rod. my buddy had bent a valve and it was stuck open stopping the piston. may have to take the valve cover off to see how the valves are moving.

Quick Reply: HYDROLOCKED advice please!