Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

HVAC Question (possibly a dumb one)

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default HVAC Question (possibly a dumb one)

Ok so I only got the 99 Classic 2 weeks ago and have only driven it 6 times (it lives in a off-site garage 20 miles away when not driven or I'd go look into this right now myself)

I am a big fan of the vent/floor setting when driving in chilly weather. I am happy that the Jeep has this setting position (you'd be surprised how many cars do not) but noticed that there is the A/C "snowflake" behind this position...

So the question is: Will using this bi-level setting run A/C pump when using heat? If it will, then I can manually switch between floor and vent. If not, I will be a happy noob Do ALL positions on the left run pump as well when using heat?

Again forgive this possibly dumb question, I searched & found nothing.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

There are 5 selector positions that engage the a/c compressor and 2 that don't. Heat can added in all 7 positions.
Attached Thumbnails HVAC Question (possibly a dumb one)-002-copy.jpg  

Last edited by djb383; 12-15-2010 at 08:49 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:51 PM

****...thats what I was afraid of....oh well. A selecting I will go then...dont need to burn up any more fuel than we already do. Thanks!
Old 12-15-2010, 09:03 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 L6 Srt

sorry to barge in but i have a question.. i took out my a/c and currently bypassed my heater core.. I live in miami doesnt get cold enough to use.
Anyways i thought the last two would just run with the blower blowing the hot coolant. I know on my dakota i have the same settings and when i use the defroster and floor vent it doesnt turn on the compressor.. I dont know how different the two cars are but a few things are interchangable.

Anyways just a question since i plan on putting the heater hoses back in a bit since the wife doesnt like the cold weather.. so i would like to know if i can still use the heater without the compressor?
Old 12-16-2010, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by 98jeepsrt6
sorry to barge in but i have a question.. i took out my a/c and currently bypassed my heater core.. I live in miami doesnt get cold enough to use.
Anyways i thought the last two would just run with the blower blowing the hot coolant. I know on my dakota i have the same settings and when i use the defroster and floor vent it doesnt turn on the compressor.. I dont know how different the two cars are but a few things are interchangable.

Anyways just a question since i plan on putting the heater hoses back in a bit since the wife doesnt like the cold weather.. so i would like to know if i can still use the heater without the compressor?
Defroster will ALWAYS run A/C compressor as long as it has enough charge to run is hooked up electrically still. If it didnt run, it would fog up your windshield quickly (like how when **** is on floor but some still comes thru defroster, but since it hasnt been "dried" by A/C, it tends to fog over time)

So in short, yes you can use heat w/o A/C hooked up, but defroster may fog up windshield 1st, then clear it...or not clear it at all if humid/raining out.

Last edited by 99CherokeeGuy; 12-16-2010 at 07:43 AM.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:45 AM

Will somebody check my Pics and tell me if I am correct in deducing that I have Dana 35 axles in both front and rear?

Thanks in advance

Jason