Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Howl/Whirl at 50mph

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 04:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0L
Default Howl/Whirl at 50mph

Hey Guys,

I actually posted about this a while back, but I'm still having issues with it. I understand noises are hard to help with over the internet, but I'm just curious of some things to check.

I have this pretty noticeable howl/whirl from like 47ish to 53ish mph, which I don't hear below or above that speed. Seems to be coming from the front end. If I'm in that speed range, and let off the gas it goes away. But I assumed if it was differential related it would be a constant noise throughout all speeds. Not to mention, I did my diff fluids about 3 months ago, and everything looked good.

This same thing actually happened in my old XJ. So, part of me is hoping it's something a littler more common, and you guys have had this experience too.

Another note is, After lifting my XJ and putting some 31's on it, the noise is more noticeable/pronounced. Before, on stock wheels, if I was driving for a decent amount of time, the noise would go away while at those speeds, but now with the 31's it'll dissipate, but it's still there.

Hope my rant gives you some ideas for things I can check. More than happy to answer any questions you guys may have that might help lead a hand.

Specs in my sig. Thanks! TFitz
Old 08-11-2015, 08:13 AM
CF Veteran

Anyone? I know this is kinda difficult to help out with, but any ideas?

I'm thinking maybe rear DS ujoints? Is it a possibility that ujoints can cause something like this?
Old 08-11-2015, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

Front wheel bearing(s).
Old 08-11-2015, 01:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Gauge
Front wheel bearing(s).
+1 on checking wheel bearings.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:49 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 Litre High Output

Typically a wheel bearing is a growl - check your differential fluid in your rear and front. Diffs to me can have a whirling/whining sound.

Also check your ATF and make sure your fluid is clean and full.

Diff noise can come and go with acceleration.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:29 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by bryanintowson
Typically a wheel bearing is a growl - check your differential fluid in your rear and front. Diffs to me can have a whirling/whining sound.

Also check your ATF and make sure your fluid is clean and full.

Diff noise can come and go with acceleration.
I checked wheel bearings not too long ago, and they were smooth and tight. Diff fluid was changed a couple months ago, and I check it fairly frequently.

I'm honestly not sure whether to describe it as a howl or a growl. But now that I think of it, it does seem more like a growl. It's definitely not a whine. The sound doesn't really go away, it just dissipates the longer I've driven, and is only present between 47 to 53 mph.

I understand it's hard to help diagnose without hearing, but I appreciate the info.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

How about the pinion bearings?
Old 08-11-2015, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by TFitzPat87
I checked wheel bearings not too long ago, and they were smooth and tight. Diff fluid was changed a couple months ago, and I check it fairly frequently.

I'm honestly not sure whether to describe it as a howl or a growl. But now that I think of it, it does seem more like a growl. It's definitely not a whine. The sound doesn't really go away, it just dissipates the longer I've driven, and is only present between 47 to 53 mph.

I understand it's hard to help diagnose without hearing, but I appreciate the info.
So did I. I had all the symptoms of a bad passenger side wheel bearing, but it "felt" fine. I replaced it anyway. The noise was still there, so I replaced the other one. The noise went away.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:38 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by EZEARL
How about the pinion bearings?
No play in either yoke. Whatever the noise is has been going on for a bit. I did notice that over the winter and in pretty cold weather, the noise doesn't really dissipate. But again, it isn't at any other speeds. It's specific to 47 to 53 mph. Below that, fine. Above that, fine.

So did I. I had all the symptoms of a bad passenger side wheel bearing, but it "felt" fine. I replaced it anyway. The noise was still there, so I replaced the other one. The noise went away.
I hear ya. The only issue with that is, if it's not the hubs, then I'm out a decent chunk of change for something that didn't need replacing.

That being said, was yours a constant noise, or only around at a certain speed. I had a hub go bad on my old XJ and that was a wah wah wah noise, and was consistent with speed.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:17 AM

It was only at certain speeds. It would go away, depending on which way I turned the steering wheel, while driving forward. I think if the noise is there, you turn left and it goes away... That means it's the right hub And vice versa. Mine was the total opposite. I turned left and the noise went away, leading me to believe it was the right hub. I replaced it and the noise was still there. I replaced the left hub and the howl went away. In the end, I have a set of new hubs that should last a very long time. Timken FTW!
Old 08-12-2015, 08:34 PM
CF Veteran

It was only at certain speeds. It would go away, depending on which way I turned the steering wheel, while driving forward. I think if the noise is there, you turn left and it goes away... That means it's the right hub And vice versa. Mine was the total opposite. I turned left and the noise went away, leading me to believe it was the right hub. I replaced it and the noise was still there. I replaced the left hub and the howl went away. In the end, I have a set of new hubs that should last a very long time. Timken FTW!
I hear ya. Except mine doesn't go away when I turn left or right. But I'll definitely look into it. Considering just about everything is stock with the exception of my lift, and it's an 18 year old vehicle, it's definitely possible that any grease in my hubs isn't very "greasy" at this point.

I'm going to look into my ujoints first. Easy cheap replacement, and a little piece of mind after a lift.

To be honest, I don't really mind putting nice new parts on the jeep even if they aren't the fix. New parts are always nice. I just don't want to spend the extra money if I don't really need to. Timken FTW for sure.