Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

How to remove power steering pump?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Exclamation How to remove power steering pump?

91 4.0. I'm a woman and new to car mechanics. With the economy, I'm having to learn a lot of repairs on my own. How do I remove the power steering pump and get the belt off? Is there anything special I need to do when replacing it?

Also, can I take off the reservoir or do I buy a new pump with the reservoir?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-26-2009, 01:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

first off welcome to the forum from eastern pa now for your question you will need a puller to remove the pulley on the power steering pump you can rent this at any autozone or equivalent then you will have to disconect the lines as for your resivoir if you get it off undamaged reuse it if not replace it and you will have to loosen your belt tensioning bolts to loosen the belt then you can just pull it off this would be a good time to repalce the belt if its looking worn ie cracks or splits then you just unbolt the pump and bolt up the new one
Old 06-26-2009, 01:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

OK, first question, how to loosen the power steering pump and get your serpantinebelt off.
1.) there is one bolt on the front side of the pump that needs loosened. Then, there are two more bolts on the back side, between the pump and the intake/exhaust manifolds. (be careful) you can burn your hand doing this part.

2.) With the 3 previous mentioned bolts loosened, you can now come in from the driver's side near the bottom of the PS pump. Turning the long bolt that is there will cause your PS pump to slide over and loosen the serpantine belt. Of course turning it he wrong way will just further tighten it.

3.) Once you have the belt loose enough just slide it off all of the pulleys and slide the new one on. Pay close attention to the correct routing of your serpantine belt around all of the pulleys. Once you have the new belt on just turn the bolt at the side of the PS pump to tighten and then tighten the other 3 bolts on the PS pump and you're all done.

4.) You will know the correct tightness of the serpantine belt when you can only push the belt down 1/2-3/4 of an inch between the PS pump and the water pump.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

Looks like JD beat me to answering the other question...lol. If you have any other questions just post them on up. I've been the proud owner of and wrenching on, a 91 XJ Sport for almost 5 years, now. I've been through just about every maintenance related task you can do to a 91 Cherokee except for a full engine or tranny tear down. The 4.0 HO and AW4 are pretty much bombproof if taken care of properly.