Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

How much spline should I see?.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 96
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4 liter
Default How much spline should I see?.....

I've posted a similar thread already but really couldn't fully articulate my question before so here goes:

I've swapped an 8.25 in to my 96XJ. The rig originally had a Dana 35 in it.
I have used the original Dana 35's driveshaft, which as I understand it is slightly longer that the 8.25's since the D35's Housing is an inch Shorter than the 8.25's housing..
I am lifted 3" however so I'm hoping between the 2 components the DS is not too long.

Because of the notorious "clunk" on stop and start, I was going to grease the slip yoke splines and noticed I can only see about 1/4" of splines beyond the driveshaft, so I wonder:

On trail when the rear flexes occasionally I hear a clunk.
Since my DS is longer than an 8.25 equipped XJ's driveshaft I worry I'm "bottoming out on the TC" as I've read many others warning about. Could just be something else I hope though. It's not loud.

Does the DS bottom out when it hits the end of the output splines??

OR does the DS slide over and past the splines and only bottom out when it (the DS) hits the TC itself.
I see about +/- 1/4" of splines at rest.

At what point does the Driveshaft actually "bottom out on the transfer case" and cause damage???

If it slips past and over the unsplined part of the output I'm golden..... but if it stops at the splines I may need a shorter (8.25 stock) shaft.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 96
Engine: 4 liter

I suppose I could also ask in another way:

How long is the splined section of a new style 231's output shaft,
and how deep is the hole on the driveshaft??
Old 06-22-2012, 01:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Well remember your actually asking the depth of the slip yoke itself, on mine its like 2 1/2 -4 in. But im horrible at guessing. If you only see 1/4in at rest your in danger of getting your rear flexing up and banging into your tcase. Tbh id go get that shaft shortened or just get a sye and cv shaft
At 3" lifted your driveline angle isnt as bad but still is gonna hurt your u joints over time
Old 06-22-2012, 01:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Parsnip
Well remember your actually asking the depth of the slip yoke itself, on mine its like 2 1/2 -4 in. But im horrible at guessing. If you only see 1/4in at rest your in danger of getting your rear flexing up and banging into your tcase. Tbh id go get that shaft shortened or just get a sye and cv shaft
At 3" lifted your driveline angle isnt as bad but still is gonna hurt your u joints over time
Sye and cv shaft is 400$ from adams driveline...find em on eBay, but thats who im going to order from