Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

How to make lights flash?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 03:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Default How to make lights flash?

Why couldn't they just do this at the facotry?! I would really like my amber lights to flash, from and back, when I unlock and lock with my keyless entry. It's a 2000 cherokee, and as some may already know, when locked only the horn sounds, and when unlocked the interior lights come on. I was wondering if there was a way to wire something up.

This was my thought: If it's even wired like this, I was thinking if one of the keyless entry harness wires, beeps the horn, and if so, maybe splice into it and run the spliced wires to somewhere that woukd flash the lights. Sounds a bit complicated. I am mechanically inclined but need some help here.

Before it's brought up, no I don't want to get an aftermarket alarm/keyless entry.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Well, that ain't mechanical, that's electrical.

It's certainly do-able, but it's not something you can really tackle without some electrical knowledge.

You're on the right track, though. Probably the easiest thing is to do as you suggested, and tie it in to the 4 way flasher circuit. You don't want to do that without understanding the existing circuitry.

Do you know somebody local who is willing to do it for you?
Old 12-28-2013, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark
Well, that ain't mechanical, that's electrical.

It's certainly do-able, but it's not something you can really tackle without some electrical knowledge.

You're on the right track, though. Probably the easiest thing is to do as you suggested, and tie it in to the 4 way flasher circuit. You don't want to do that without understanding the existing circuitry.

Do you know somebody local who is willing to do it for you?
Thanks for pointing out the obvious on the first sentence.

The person to do it for me, would be myself. I'm a mechanic and I do have some electrical knowledge, and do all the work on my jeep. Without wiring diagrams I'm at a lose. So can anyone help me out?

Last edited by JeepMoreDoor; 12-28-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:10 PM

Anyone?
Old 12-31-2013, 04:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is an idea -> http://www.kia-forums.com/kia-carniv...l-locking.html

or here for another idea that might work -> http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/auto-...r-flash-84673/
Old 12-31-2013, 07:02 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L
Default Security Lights

Originally Posted by JeepMoreDoor
Thanks for pointing out the obvious on the first sentence.

The person to do it for me, would be myself. I'm a mechanic and I do have some electrical knowledge, and do all the work on my jeep. Without wiring diagrams I'm at a lose. So can anyone help me out?

Get yourself a haynes or chilton manual first. You can even search for AlldataDIY on google and register there. Alldata is nice because it's on the computer and easily searchable/Printable. the books are nice because I keep one them in the car in case I for whatever reason need them. Anyway all service manuals list the wiring diagrams. from there I would locate the signal wire to the horn relay and splice that into the signal wire for the hazard relay (4-way relay) so that when the horn sounds the lights will shine. you will need some sort of diode that prevents the current from the hazard relay going to the horn relay so that the horn doesn't sound every time you turn the hazards on. A test light or my personal favorite the power probe or must needs for this as you will need to verify the power sources. also instead of the hazard relay you can also tap into the "parking lights only" circuit on the headlight switch. i thought of that when i was done and actually think that would be a better route... either way thats where i would start. up to you let us know what you do and how it turns out. or you can just get a new aftermarket security system.... juss sayin
Old 12-31-2013, 07:35 AM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Shouldn't be too challenging, the module in the ceiling has a few outputs, notably control wires for lock and unlock that feed relays in the PDM. I'll see if I can dig up a wiring diagram for you.

I really have to agree with the idea of getting an FSM though... Skip Haynes and Chiltons, they don't have this level of detail.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:45 AM

Year: 2001

Just curious, but why do you want the lights to flash? Take a look at www.the12volt.com as well. You can find some good resources there too. Helps mobile electronics dorks like me out quite a bit. Good luck! I think there is probably an easy way to do this. I'll put some thought into it and see if you don't beat me to an answer.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by salad
Shouldn't be too challenging, the module in the ceiling has a few outputs, notably control wires for lock and unlock that feed relays in the PDM. I'll see if I can dig up a wiring diagram for you.
Please do, I do have flashing lights that OP wants, but no horn tie in and nothing is hacked from the horns themselves, so this connection makes sense. I really haven't spent much time on it, but since some butt-monkey siphoned my tank a week back it's leaving me want to resort to more stringent methods of deterent.

And where is the module exactly?
Old 12-31-2013, 12:02 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Originally Posted by dwright98xj
Please do, I do have flashing lights that OP wants, but no horn tie in and nothing is hacked from the horns themselves, so this connection makes sense. I really haven't spent much time on it, but since some butt-monkey siphoned my tank a week back it's leaving me want to resort to more stringent methods of deterent.

And where is the module exactly?
The RKE module is up with the dome/reading light (overhead console if equipped), the power lock module oddly lives in the passenger door. I can't remember if the RKE hits the horn directly or if it talks to the PCM for that. I'll take a gander tonight. Horn on lock is enabled by some button magic on the keyfob, by the way.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:11 PM

I was looking into this yesterday and found the following post on another forum. It makes sense but I haven't looked into it yet. If you choose this method please keep us posted as I'll prolly do the same thing. Good Luck

There is an orange black negative- trigger wire in the kick panel by the driver's foot (in a square connector that goes to door.) I used this wire to install my remote start. It goes negative each time the door lock key is pressed on the remote. You could use this to trigger a relay that provide +12v to the black/red wire (parking lights) at the headlight switch. This would allow you get light flash when you lock the door. Let me know if you want pics and more details and I'll see what I can do this weekend about getting pics for you.

Should be easy to do. The12volt.com has a good setup.

Wire Relay
12v+ --------------------> pin 85
Orange/Black- (DK) -----> pin 86
12v+ --------------------> pin 87
Black/Red+ (H/S)--------> pin 30

DK=Driver's Kickpanel
H/S=Headlight Switch

Old 12-31-2013, 02:47 PM

Year: 2001

Okay. There you go. Find the horn output wire on the module. Use that wire to provide power to turn signal as well at location provided above. It's probably a negative throw wire, so you'll need at least a SPST relay to provide power. That will help reduce load on horn wire even if its a positive throw wire from module anyway.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:00 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

For 2000 but '01 should be the same.

C301 is a white connector above the junction block. Seems the best place to splice in. It is part of a break-out connector with a "natural" connector, C300, that goes into the passenger door.

Functions of the outputs in case it is not obvious from the diagram:

- DOOR LOCK CONTROL will have a brief signal whenever lock is sent
- DOOR UNLOCK CONTROl will have a brief signal whenever unlock is sent
- HORN RELAY CONTROL will have a brief signal whenever a lock signal is sent AND you've enabled the horn confirmation with the keyfob
- COURTESY LAMPS DRIVER will have a signal for "about thirty seconds" (yes, that's the official wording) when unlock is sent

Also...

To program the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) receiver so that the horn chirp feature is disabled, proceed as follows:

(1) While within the reception range of the RKE receiver, press and hold the Lock button of a programmed RKE transmitter depressed for five to ten seconds.
(2) While holding the RKE transmitter Lock button depressed, press and release the RKE transmitter Unlock button.
(3) The RKE horn chirp feature is now disabled.

Repeating the preceding steps will again enable the RKE horn chirp feature.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:29 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I've tried searching for AllData but never had much luck, and surprising haven't found a manual. I honestly just would like for them to flash, so I can be aware that it locked and unlocked. I'll report back later.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:18 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

http://www.alldatadiy.com/ thats the login page. also do you have a display on the roof.... does it offer any options for the alarm I cant be sure since mine does not have it but I have seen on some newer jeeps options to change the alarm settings and what does and does not turn on. But I figure it doesn't since you probably would have noticed it.

Quick Reply: How to make lights flash?