Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

How to jump bypass the NSS on a '96 XJ

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 09:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default How to jump bypass the NSS on a '96 XJ

I believe there are 2 ways to bypass the NSS on a '96 XJ.

The first would be to bridge the gap between the two electrodes on the starter motor from underneath.

The second I believe is to unhook one of the electrical harnesses in that cluster of 4 or so somewhere around the trans fluid dip stick and bridge the circuit using maybe just a small wire. I've seen possibly a graphic of this somewhere before but can't find it now.

Can someone please explain how this is done at the electrical harness?

Thanks
Old 04-02-2014, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jumper between terminals B and C....

Last edited by Little Red XJ; 04-02-2014 at 10:30 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:18 PM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

Here's another pic.. I wonder if the connectors that show it's in 3rd or 1-2 cause any issues when the NSS goes inoperative?
Attached Thumbnails How to jump bypass the NSS on a '96 XJ-nss.jpg  
Old 12-08-2015, 04:10 PM

Year: 1987
Engine: 3.4L V6

How is sticking a paperclip in the sockets of the switch connector going to trick the jeep into thinking it's in park?
You would need to jumper the other side of the connector with pins that feed back to the ECU.
Attached Images  
Old 12-08-2015, 04:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chris87xj
How is sticking a paperclip in the sockets of the switch connector going to trick the jeep into thinking it's in park? You would need to jumper the other side of the connector with pins that feed back to the ECU.
As someone who had to "trick" the jeep to determine if the NSS was at fault for a no crank, yes, it is very much possible to jump the terminals at the connector. This technique is useful for troubleshooting the NSS and to get you out of a tow if you're out on the road when it fails.
Old 12-08-2015, 04:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2004 WJ, 1998 XJ
Model: Grand Cherokee(WJ)
Engine: 4.7 HO

How is sticking a paperclip in the sockets of the switch connector going to trick the jeep into thinking it's in park?
You would need to jumper the other side of the connector with pins that feed back to the ECU.
I don't know why per se but I've done it and it works. Drove it for months with a paper clip in mine.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1994 1993

Basically all the NSS does is complete the ground for the starter when it is in the P or N position because that is where the connections inside line up. If you jump the terminals for the black ground wires you bypass this internal lining up and the starter is grounded no matter what. When a NSS wears out it can no longer get a good connection to complete the ground for the starter and that's why you get a silent no start situation.

Since only a ground is involved there is no actual current to have to send to the ECU or any other sort of positive or "hot" wires involved.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

That's correct. Need to jumper the ECU connector, not the switch connector.
Unless you plug the connectors back together after inserting a small jumper- then it doesn't matter.

'96 will eventually throw a CEL if the NSS is jumpered. Doesn't affect how it runs.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Radi
That's correct. Need to jumper the ECU connector, not the switch connector.
Unless you plug the connectors back together after inserting a small jumper- then it doesn't matter.

'96 will eventually throw a CEL if the NSS is jumpered. Doesn't affect how it runs.
Thank you for restoring my faith in the forum.
If I could just jumper the plug connector on the end of the switch in order to bypass it, then I might as well remove the nut and bolt holding it to the tranny and put the jumpered switch on the workbench in my garage for safekeeping while I drive my XJ around.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Howdy Chuck! Long time no see....

Chris, you might want to check out this link. If you can remove your NSS without breaking it, you can probably fix it>>

If you hold the key over, and jiggle the shifter in park or neutral and it starts, it's your NSS. http://bc4x4.com/tech/2010/jeep-neut...ty-switch-nss/
Old 12-09-2015, 03:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

Thank you for restoring my faith in the forum.
From what people are saying, it's a temporary fix to your problem and it works. They even explained why, so I'm not sure why you seem upset over that and "losing faith" in the forums (as if people are trying to mislead you or spread false information)
Old 12-09-2015, 09:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1994 1993

Originally Posted by Cane
From what people are saying, it's a temporary fix to your problem....
It's been a temporary fix for my NSS for about 8 years now.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:57 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1996 Two Door Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0L

Suggestion: Carry these jumper instructions on your vehicle as part of your tool/emergency kit. Some time ago I tucked them into the repair manual I keep on board. Have not had to use it yet. But I figure if I do, I won't remember which wires to jump without the instructions.
Old 12-19-2015, 05:25 PM

So you guys are sayin that I can unplug my nss here,

How to jump bypass the NSS on a '96 XJ-nss-plug-3.png

and stick a paperclip like this

How to jump bypass the NSS on a '96 XJ-nss-plug-2.png

in the end of the nss plug here,

Name:  nss plug.PNG
Views: 4209
Size:  225.7 KB

and then I can just go driving around with nothing plugged into the pins side of the connector coming out of the wiring harness in the engine bay?

Sorry guys I'm just not seein it.

Last edited by chris87xj; 12-19-2015 at 05:33 PM.
Old 12-19-2015, 07:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So you guys are sayin that I can unplug my nss here, and stick a paperclip like this in the end of the nss plug here, and then I can just go driving around with nothing plugged into the pins side of the connector coming out of the wiring harness in the engine bay? Sorry guys I'm just not seein it.
That was a pretty elaborate picture show. So what are you trying to assert here? Either it's that you are trying to passive aggressively point out that it's the module side that needs the jumper and not the switch side, or you don't believe you can bypass the nss using the jumper method. The point of the information in this thread is to give ppl an idea of how to get their XJ to start when the nss fails, or as a means of troubleshooting. If you were trying to prove your knowledge, you could have posted the pics with the intent to instruct someone on how to do it properly. Ppl rely on these threads when searching for solutions. Yours was the opposite of that.

Quick Reply: How to jump bypass the NSS on a '96 XJ