Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

How hot is too hot?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 6L
Default How hot is too hot?

Hello,

I have a 2000 XJ, standard spec, no mods, 69K on clock. Bought it 2 months ago. Runs really well and has been well taken care of. Recently did fluid flush on rad, had tune up, a couple of the plugs changed. The guy that did the work noticed it runs a bit hot - hence the fluid flush, said there was a bit of rust in the radiator fluid. Its runs 210 most of the time (freeway, flat road), rising to about midway 210-220 on hot days and after climbing hills (which I do a lot, I live at the top of a canyon). This kicks the fan in, around 210 I would estimate.

Is this too hot? Do I need to get the radiator taken out and really cleaned or replaced or is this just normal? Coolant level is constant, checking that every day. Only other issue is not starting on first key turn every time, but always on second go. Think this may be a fuel pressure thing? again, going on guy that did the works say so. Doing my best to start learning basic mechanics so I can give my XJ the love it needs myself, so any thoughts, tips much appreciated

Thanks!
Old 04-27-2011, 10:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L (242 cid) I-6

Change your thermostat and check if any hoses are leaking. Mine was running hot so I changed the thermostat, leaky hose, and the water pump and now it runs around 190 while I'm on the freeway
Old 04-27-2011, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by 01cherokeexj
Change your thermostat and check if any hoses are leaking. Mine was running hot so I changed the thermostat, leaky hose, and the water pump and now it runs around 190 while I'm on the freeway
is 210 too hot then you recon?
Old 04-27-2011, 11:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

It should run just under 210, the efan comes on at 215. Simple search would of told you that.
Sounds like its running a little warm but not enough to cause major concern. I would drain, refill with distilled water, run it for a day, then drain again and refill with 50/50 antifreeze/distilled water. Do a thermostat (195*) and check your Mech fan while youre at it. Look at your water pump too and see if its leaking through the weep hole, it might be on its way out (lower flows)

Last edited by 89Laredo; 10-19-2012 at 01:46 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:36 AM

Year: 1992
Engine: 6

Thermostats will only set the minimum temperature your coolant will run at, they have no effect whatsoever on the coolant temperature when it is above the opening temp of the thermostat.

That being said, check the radiator, fan, water pump and most importantly the calibration of the water temp gauge. Mine indicates almost 15 higher than actual.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by dragon 23
........has been well taken care of..........there was a bit of rust in the radiator fluid......This kicks the fan in, around 210 I would estimate.

Is this too hot? Do I need to get the radiator taken out and really cleaned or replaced or is this just normal? Coolant level is constant, checking that every day.........
Usually rusty coolant indicates a lack of proper maintenance. FSM says the ECU turns the efan on 218F so your gauge may be off to the low side.

The entire XJ cooling system (rad & cap, pump, fan clutch, t-stat & cover, hoses, belt, coolant, etc.) can be replaced for +/-$250 in parts. Doing it all at once on a new-2-u vehicle eliminates the guess work and multiple coolant drains/refills.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Defiance665
It should run just under 210, the efan comes on at 215. Simple search would of told you that.
Sounds like its running a little warm but not enough to cause major concern. I would drain, refill with distilled water, run it for a day, then drain again and refill with 50/50 antifreeze/distilled water. Do a thermostat (195*) and check your Mech fan while youre at it. Look at your water pump too and see if its leaking through the weep hole, it might be on its way out (lower flows)
thanks for that, i did do a search on here and been reading all the overheating threads, but could not find an exact figure, so thanks for putting me straight. Will have a look and see if I can work out the other things you mention too.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach
Thermostats will only set the minimum temperature your coolant will run at, they have no effect whatsoever on the coolant temperature when it is above the opening temp of the thermostat.

That being said, check the radiator, fan, water pump and most importantly the calibration of the water temp gauge. Mine indicates almost 15 higher than actual.

thanks for that... does that guage control when the fan kicks in? this AM mine came on around 212 after a 10 min drive up and down the canyon. was fairly sedate driving. Did notice was fine around 195ish on way down, started on the rise on way back up. could i being over cautious here and temp is just a result of frequent hill climbs?
Old 04-28-2011, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by djb383
Usually rusty coolant indicates a lack of proper maintenance. FSM says the ECU turns the efan on 218F so your gauge may be off to the low side.

The entire XJ cooling system (rad & cap, pump, fan clutch, t-stat & cover, hoses, belt, coolant, etc.) can be replaced for +/-$250 in parts. Doing it all at once on a new-2-u vehicle eliminates the guess work and multiple coolant drains/refills.
while i am not flushed with cash at the moment, that does seem like a good idea when i can afford it. thanks for advice.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by dragon 23
thanks for that... does that guage control when the fan kicks in? this AM mine came on around 212 after a 10 min drive up and down the canyon. was fairly sedate driving. Did notice was fine around 195ish on way down, started on the rise on way back up. could i being over cautious here and temp is just a result of frequent hill climbs?
The ECU turns the efan on when it sees a coolant temp signal of 218 from the coolant temp sensor that's located in the t-stat cover. Coolant temp will increase/decrease with engine load increase/decrease. Factory gauges are known to be "just general indicators".......kinda like horseshoes and hand grenades....somewhere close but not spot on accurate.

FWIW, there is a port under the dash, close to your left knee, that a digital scan tool can be plugged into. Depending on the tool, it will display coolant temp readings in 1 degree increments.

Last edited by djb383; 04-28-2011 at 04:30 PM.