Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

how easy is it to change lifters on a 4.0 6 straight

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: straight 6 4.0 L
Default how easy is it to change lifters on a 4.0 6 straight

Have a lifter tick and wanting to know how hard it is to change them
Old 03-23-2012, 08:29 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: I6

id imagine pretty easy, Take the VC off, undo the lifters, put new ones in, torque em, And torque the VC, and call it a day.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Renix

Ok..., must be the 1st of April. It could be a little more involved.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Renix

Proceedure is excellent for replacing the rocker arms, and often that is the noise source, perhaps even and adjustment will suffice. The lifters will require the head removal, at that point if the lifters are pooched, then the cam must be in need of some love also. If youve gone this distance then what about the valsve springs, retainers, valve seats, etc. It can quickly snowball. Hve a good look at the rockers 1st, replace em if worn out. Set the valve lash with cylinder at TDC, rotate the pushrod with your fingers, tighten to remove play between rocker and pushrod, then 1 1/2 turns tighter.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

The rockers r held in place by bridges....1 bridge per pair of valves. The bridges get torqued to 21 lb/ ft, I believe. That's the adjustment/setting.....no spinning push rods and 1 1/2 turns of a nut after they stop spinning....just torque the bridges down.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

Originally Posted by Big D Squared
Have a lifter tick and wanting to know how hard it is to change them
Remove valve cover
Remove rocker arms
Remove cylinder head
Remove lifters
Install new lifters
Reinstall cylinder head
Reinstall rocker arms
Reinstall valve cover.

Sadly, the "Modern Era" AMC six never got a side access plate inbuilt - which is something I consider silly. Thus, the head must be removed to access the lifters for service.

How sure are you it's a lifter tap - have you undertaken any diagnosis to isolate or identify the noise? It never hurts to be sure - and a mechanic's stethoscope is both a cheap tool and a very useful tool!

If it does seem to be a tappet knock, I'd suggest flushing your oil first - most tappet knocks are caused by a buildup of sludge or varnish in the tappets, which interferes with the free action of the plunger. Ergo, something detergent enough to break the crud loose is helpful. Ideas that have worked for me before:

- Change the oil. Replace one quart of engine oil with one quart of Marvel Mystery Oil - it's good stuff! Run normally, drain while hot. Repeat PRN.

- Change the oil. Replace 1-2 quarts of engine oil with a like amount of automatic transmission fluid (Type F is more detergent than Dexron/Mercon, and will be more aggressive...) and run fairly hard for 500-1,000 miles and drain while hot. I don't suggest doing this twice on the run - automatic transmission fluid can be antagonistic to engine seals. (FYI - Type F also makes a good ersatz hand cleaner. Use the Type F to get the crud off, then use regular soap to get the Type F off.)

- Use a good engine flush - Berryman's B-12 Chemtool works, and I've heard good results from Seafoam and I think Lucas makes something that works fairly well - and follow the instructions on the can. (I usually do this sort of thing as a "maintenance flush" - I've noted the previous two methods tend to be more aggressive.)

NB: Whether or not you've got sludge or varnish buildup that's causing your tappet knock, you may have a leak "appear" after the flush. This would be because you've had a seal that was about to go out anyhow, but it had a buildup of sludge that helped to keep is sealed. Flushing the sludge out often brings these incipient leads to light - it merely accelerates notice of a failed/failing seal, it doesn't cause seal failure in and of itself. This is also common when switching to synthetic oils - which has started the "synthetics cause leaks" myth.

Considering the difficulty in replacing the liftes on the 6-242, I'd try a detergent first. For best effect, you should drain your oil as hot as you can stand it - it will carry more crud out that way.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Was wondering if anyone has had any luck, thinking you could get a little berymans or something to run down a push-rod and puddle around the lifter. Overnight it might get into somewhere it could help.

Can't you put new lifters on a worn cam, but a new cam with worn lifters, bad idea?
Old 03-24-2012, 07:35 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by 5-90
Remove valve cover
Remove rocker arms
Remove cylinder head
Remove lifters
Install new lifters
Reinstall cylinder head
Reinstall rocker arms
Reinstall valve cover.

Sadly, the "Modern Era" AMC six never got a side access plate inbuilt - which is something I consider silly. Thus, the head must be removed to access the lifters for service.

How sure are you it's a lifter tap - have you undertaken any diagnosis to isolate or identify the noise? It never hurts to be sure - and a mechanic's stethoscope is both a cheap tool and a very useful tool!

If it does seem to be a tappet knock, I'd suggest flushing your oil first - most tappet knocks are caused by a buildup of sludge or varnish in the tappets, which interferes with the free action of the plunger. Ergo, something detergent enough to break the crud loose is helpful. Ideas that have worked for me before:

- Change the oil. Replace one quart of engine oil with one quart of Marvel Mystery Oil - it's good stuff! Run normally, drain while hot. Repeat PRN.

- Change the oil. Replace 1-2 quarts of engine oil with a like amount of automatic transmission fluid (Type F is more detergent than Dexron/Mercon, and will be more aggressive...) and run fairly hard for 500-1,000 miles and drain while hot. I don't suggest doing this twice on the run - automatic transmission fluid can be antagonistic to engine seals. (FYI - Type F also makes a good ersatz hand cleaner. Use the Type F to get the crud off, then use regular soap to get the Type F off.)

- Use a good engine flush - Berryman's B-12 Chemtool works, and I've heard good results from Seafoam and I think Lucas makes something that works fairly well - and follow the instructions on the can. (I usually do this sort of thing as a "maintenance flush" - I've noted the previous two methods tend to be more aggressive.)

NB: Whether or not you've got sludge or varnish buildup that's causing your tappet knock, you may have a leak "appear" after the flush. This would be because you've had a seal that was about to go out anyhow, but it had a buildup of sludge that helped to keep is sealed. Flushing the sludge out often brings these incipient leads to light - it merely accelerates notice of a failed/failing seal, it doesn't cause seal failure in and of itself. This is also common when switching to synthetic oils - which has started the "synthetics cause leaks" myth.

Considering the difficulty in replacing the liftes on the 6-242, I'd try a detergent first. For best effect, you should drain your oil as hot as you can stand it - it will carry more crud out that way.
I've used Jon's method with the MMO with encouraging results.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:04 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
Was wondering if anyone has had any luck, thinking you could get a little berymans or something to run down a push-rod and puddle around the lifter. Overnight it might get into somewhere it could help.

Can't you put new lifters on a worn cam, but a new cam with worn lifters, bad idea?
New Tappets w/New Cam = Mandatory.
New Tappets w/Used Cam = No trouble.
Used Tappets w/New Cam = Rapidly Wrecked Cam
Used Tappets w/Used Cam = No trouble (if lifters are on the same lobes they came off of.)
Used Tappets w/Used Cam = Wrecked Cam (if lifters are on different lobes than they were removed from.)

I've put new tappets on used cams often, and haven't had any trouble. As long as the camshaft itself isn't wiped out, you'll be fine - just follow normal run-in procedure.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:52 PM

Remove valve cover
Remove rocker arms
Remove cylinder head
Remove lifters
Install new lifters
Reinstall cylinder head
Reinstall rocker arms
Reinstall valve cover.

Well I have listened to the tick and I prurty sure it is coming from the valve cover I have changed the oil and put some additives in it and still the tick just comes and goes and starts off not that loud and as it ticks it gets louder and louder untilled it stops for like 10 min and then repeats? Idk what to do anymore
Old 03-24-2012, 11:48 PM
CF Veteran

Used Tappets w/New Cam = Rapidly Wrecked Cam
Thanks again for great info ^. I guess used, concave lifters riding on a nice flat new cam is a bad idea. The other way around, not so bad.

starts off not that loud and as it ticks it gets louder and louder untilled it stops for like 10 min and then repeats?
And it will "cycle" like that? Do you have a gauge or a light for your oil pressure?
Old 03-25-2012, 02:55 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
Thanks again for great info ^. I guess used, concave lifters riding on a nice flat new cam is a bad idea. The other way around, not so bad.

And it will "cycle" like that? Do you have a gauge or a light for your oil pressure?
Tappet feet are "crowned" (about a five-foot circle, if you measure out the arc,) and if you've got concave tappet feet you have much larger problems!

(The very few times I've seen concave tappet feet, it's been coincidental to other major problems - usually caused either by oiling or by bad sludge buildup. The four cases of hollowed-out tappet feet I've seen in the last thirty-odd years were accompanied by the use of paraffin-base oils - Pennzoil in three cases, old-formula Quaker State in the other. Paraffin in oil has similar effects on your engine as triglycerides do in you - artheriosclerosis, blockage, loss of circulation, and other crap.

(Why don't I like Pennzoil? I used to make candles out of the sludge, and I'd actually gotten engines wanting overhauls that, when I tried to drain them, I'd pull the plug and nothing came out! I ended up taking a bit of copper rod and making something like a "soccer-ball inflator" needle to push in through the sludge to drain the oil. Yech.

As a result, I won't even use two-stroke oil made by Pennzoil, and I won't even use the stuff in my lawnmower...)
Old 03-25-2012, 07:07 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Well I have listened to the tick and I prurty sure it is coming from the valve cover I have changed the oil and put some additives in it and still the tick just comes and goes and starts off not that loud and as it ticks it gets louder and louder untilled it stops for like 10 min and then repeats? Idk what to do anymore
How long have you run it with additives and what additives?
Old 03-25-2012, 08:42 AM
CF Veteran

(Why don't I like Pennzoil? I used to make candles out of the sludge,
Ha! My first overhaul, (I was 16), the chevy 6 valve cover was solid through with that. Was just room for the rockers to move. "wax off, Grasshopper!"
Old 03-25-2012, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by cruiser54

How long have you run it with additives and what additives?
I've used just the regular castrol high mileage 30 w 50

Quick Reply: how easy is it to change lifters on a 4.0 6 straight