Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

How do you replace the radiator on this beast?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default How do you replace the radiator on this beast?

I was looking at replacing the radiator and it looks like you need to pull the entire front end off this beast!!! Ain't no wrangler. I need a tutorial to pull this one off. I am ready to replace water pump, which is also leaking. Tsat and belt why I am there.

I want to thank the members on this forum for providing some great information. My 4.0 would loose all oil pressure when warm. Did not want to even idle. So changed oil, mmo and filter. No change. I read to replace the oil sending unit. Now have 20 lb of pressure when warm at idle. Gave me hope that I might be able to hold off on a rebuild. Still have either rod or lifter knock so this beast may still be terminal but thought I would fix the cooling system repairs And see if I can get a few more miles out of the old girl. Only 70 k hard miles on her.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:06 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: ERH 4.0L 16 Power Tech

It is a simple job with the right tools. Round up all the parts prior to starting the job. Get all your metric tools out to the Jeep and start wrenching. If you start with the headlight doors and grill bagging and tagging fasteners as you go it will save alot of guess work later, Then remove the header panel and braces. You now have access to the rad and hoses. Loosen the fasteners on the water pump pulley and fan clutch prior to removing the serpentine belt. you can also use a pry bar to stabilize the pulley while loosening/tightening bolts/nuts. Replace the viscous fan drive at the same time you replace the water pump. It's cheap insurance.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997 & 1998

I've replaced a couple and it's pretty straight forward.

To reiterate, just remove the hoses and transmission lines first along with the electric fan. The removable panel on the header comes off with several nuts. There are a couple tucked under the body header, not far under, but look for them. The rad comes out easily at this point. Replacement is the reverse.

The water pump is as was stated already. The metal tube will have to be swapped to your new pump. It comes out with a wrench. This is a real good time to evaluate your hoses and replace any old ones now. Also, take a good look at the condition of your coolant from the old parts. You might want to flush your block if it looks nasty. If you want to be completely through, you could proactively replace your thermostat now. If you overheated at all due to the leaks, definitely replace it.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000.1999,1996

You will need the specail tools to remove the lower tranny line if you dont have those tools you can cut the metal line then slightly flare the metal lines abit and slip a 3/8 id hose (fuel line) over the flared ends and hose clamp it and you will only need one hose clamp on each end because of the flared ends,(also the tranny doesn't put out alot of pressure in these lines so the use of regular fuel line will be ok if your worried use FI line.GL
Old 08-15-2011, 09:25 AM

Year: 2001
Thumbs up

Got the rad, water pump, hoses, thermostat and valve cover gasket installed this weekend. Install was not too bad. Just cut the rubber hose from the tranny and spliced with 3/8 insert and hose clamps since I did not have the tool to remove.

Thanks to all for the assistance. This forum rocks!!!

Next project is to install a lift. Need recomendations for a smooth riding 3 - 4.5 inch lift. Heard rough country is too stiff. Comments on Rubicon Express or others?

Last edited by hico; 08-15-2011 at 09:27 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:32 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L, CAI, Edelbrock Breather, Optima Yellowtop

I replaced my radiator and all the hoses in my driveway with a couple wrenches, a pair of pliers, and some sockets in about an hour and a half. Its really easy.

All you gotta do is remove the fan shroud which is a couple of nuts, disconnect the electric fan wiring harness, then you remove the radiator support which is a few 10mm bolts and a couple torx bolts (that are on the hood catch). After that's out of the way, disconnect the hoses and the trans line. You don't need anything more special than a wrench to take the trans line off don't worry lol.

The radiator weighs next to nothing, so all you gotta do is lift it and pull it out, swap the new one in and repeat the process.