Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

how do i know if my tranny is slipping

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 07:03 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default how do i know if my tranny is slipping

hey guys every now and then when the vehicle is rolling to a stop but i dont fully stop like say you roll a stop sign to give you a good idea i feel like something slips as it feels like it doesnt engage right away when i give it gas but its very breif. Im not sure if its slipping or if thats how they are. Feels like a gear is jumping but it doesnt happen always and when im fully stop its fine i dont get that feeling. Maybe its just when the car shifts from 2nd to 1st but since i dont stop fully it shifts back to 2nd idk. Any opinions on this?
Old 08-31-2011, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 inline 6

Originally Posted by huntsman
hey guys every now and then when the vehicle is rolling to a stop but i dont fully stop like say you roll a stop sign to give you a good idea i feel like something slips as it feels like it doesnt engage right away when i give it gas but its very breif. Im not sure if its slipping or if thats how they are. Feels like a gear is jumping but it doesnt happen always and when im fully stop its fine i dont get that feeling. Maybe its just when the car shifts from 2nd to 1st but since i dont stop fully it shifts back to 2nd idk. Any opinions on this?
First thing I would do is put your cherokee on a flat surface, have it on and in N. And check your transmission fluid and smell it. If it smells burnt, or like my mechanic says like a rats a$$ its no good. Also it could be your tps
Old 08-31-2011, 06:26 PM

Engine: 4.0L V6

If she "JUMPS" as you accelerate, it could be U-Joints. I had issues with my 90 Bronco XLT. New U-joint made it solid from there.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L High Output

When i would stop hard in mine it would do the same thing and i checked the fluid and it was only half full when it had been fine a few weeks earlier so i topped it off and put some Bar's tranny stuff in it from Autozone and now its all good. I have no idea how i lost the fluid and why its not happening now but just check the fluid like said above and look into changing it because chances are its pretty old with many many miles on it.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:12 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by rlssteiner
First thing I would do is put your cherokee on a flat surface, have it on and in N. And check your transmission fluid and smell it. If it smells burnt, or like my mechanic says like a rats a$$ its no good. Also it could be your tps
This^^ first.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:15 PM
Seasoned Member

guess ima look into flushing the tranny, only thing im scared of is i heard it could cause leaks. I mean everything shifts smooth just feels like a gear or something slips before it catches on.

Since im here i also have another question how do i know if my exhaust has a whole in it or anything cuz when the car is idling its like farting out you know like phut .. phut .. phut or is that how these xjs idle ?
Old 08-31-2011, 08:28 PM
CF Veteran

Get under the XJ while its idling and listen and if it is your exhaust it will get louder as you drive so it you listen when your going down the road and see if your noise gets louder as the XJ has more RPM's. I drove around for a while with a cut in mine (where someone tried to steal my cat im guessing) right after the 90 under the passenger seat and it got pretty loud around town
Old 08-31-2011, 08:38 PM
Seasoned Member

ima have to keep that in mind i dont think it gets louder but maybe i havent payed much attention to it. Now regarding the tranny theres a dip stick that you can check i took a look at it a few min ago and it seems brownish. The smell of it isint to bad maybe a lil burnt. I think i will consider the tranny flush.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:43 PM
Seasoned Member

ooo also isnt there some kind of a filter on the bottom of the tranny ?
Old 08-31-2011, 11:04 PM
CF Veteran

Yes there is a filter but to change the fluid you have to replace the seal on the tranny for the reservoir. So you would need a new seal, sealant, and the tranny fluid. If you want to change the filter you can but it really depends on what it looks like when you get it out,although if your going through the trouble to do all that i would change it but thats just me.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:32 PM

I have been through a few transmissions over the years in my Chevelles. When I accelerated from a stop the RPM’s would go up and it would take awhile for the car to start moving. (Like it would with a stall converter) I have a friend who builds transmissions and he says to stop on a hill and put it in reverse. I don’t know why reverse but I take his word. If the engine revs and you’re not moving the bands are slipping.
As far as the exhaust goes: Put your hand tight against the end of the tailpipe and you will hear what sounds like an air leak. DO THIS WITH A COLD MOTOR. Getting a friend to do this while you get down BESIDE your ride can help to narrow down the location. Cut of the engine and crawl under; look the exhaust system over for a sooty buildup. That will be where your leak is. Using a small mirror will help to inspect on top of pipe, muffler, etcetera.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:40 PM
Seasoned Member

thanks, will check my exhaust tomorrow and as for the hill do you go up it front or do you reverse into the hill ?
Old 08-31-2011, 11:49 PM

Reverse. You'll know pretty quick if it is slipping. Get yourself some of this.

Lucas Transmission Fix
http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products.sd?iid=29&catid=9&loc=show&headTi tle= - Lucas Transmission Fix

When I picked up my last Chevelle, the trans was slipping bad. Put some of this in it and I put another 2000 miles on it before I sold it. The guy I sold it to has added another bottle and is still driving it. When I sold it to him the car would not move because the bands were slipping so bad.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

Drain and refill the trans fluid with Dexron III/Mercon(assuming AW4). This will change about 1/2 of the fluid. Drive it a bit and see if it improves.

The OP didn't mention which engine/trans he has. I see mention of adjusting bands in the 3spd auto for the 4cyl, but don't recall seeing any such regarding the AW4 behind the 4.0L.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:39 AM

if yer tranny is slippin, slap her. jk.

Quick Reply: how do i know if my tranny is slipping