Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

how do i determine lift i have vs options?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default how do i determine lift i have vs options?

I have a 93XJ with 5 speed and 231. high pinion d30 and 8.25 in rear. Someone has installed a lift 3-4.5 inches, maybe(?) i dont know who's lift it is. There are drop brackets on the frame for the front anti sway. It has stock front control arms mounted in drop brackets, (look like they could be rubicon express, but dont have the optional triangulation bracket behind the drops). Longer looking aftermarket springs and shocks (cant read them at this time). I think maybe a dropped pitman (anyone got real dimensions for comparison?) the track bar appears stock/stocklower mount but i havent seen if there is some dropped upper mount, because the angle matches the drag link pretty good i guess.

The 231 is not clocked down, and i have to check but i dont think it has SYE but since it's older, it's should be supported. there is an aftermarket rear driveshaft.

The rear must be some sort of leaf only deal, but they are practiacally flat, and are in need of an 1 1/2, maybe 2 inches to level the jeep, so maybe they had an aal, or aftermarket lift pack that has sagged.

My problem- i needed new tires, the 31 10.5 15s were shot, never rubbed at all, i got a good deal on 33 12.5s in good shape. Then i realized that the 31's were wore down to 28 15/16ths. so i'm rubbin good on the back with bumps/passengers, and front on flexed turns or at lock. I've trimmed the bottom of the front flares.

I want to do a budget 1.5-2 in the front and the same amount plus a leveling inch in the rear. Thinking about 1.5 or 2 spacers up front (
looks like only the steel backbone remains of the stock isolators but i'm not expert)

The fronts have NOT had the brake line mount stretched down yet, so maybe there were longer softlines installed with the kit. ( so i can get some inches there)

I haven't checked for a yj or tj rear line but hopefully i can cheaply get that going. I hate blocks and wanted a shackle , but have heard horror stories of the captive nut breaking loose.
thoughts on 2-3inche block vs someone's affordable shackle?

I guess what i'm saying is that i need a good 2 inches out back to level and clear new rubber, but that doesn't address the front. Advise on an inch spacer in the front or 2 "? along with same height+ 1" leveling in the rear? Or just 2 in rear, with trimmed front fenders, or all of the above and trim front/rear? lol

How high can you go without stock driveshaft problems? anyone got stock ds lengths to see if i'm already upgraded? stock pitman dimensions? am i screwed with these big tires? lol.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

First thing to do would be to flex it out as best you can to see approx how much additional lift and trimming you need, then go from there. A spacer up front will work fine, but as for your question in the rear shackles over blocks any day. Or do a search on "bastard packs" which is where you combine a blend of different rear leaves to achieve your desired lift height. You can get 2"-5" with a good bastard pack setup if you don't want to do shackles.

If the rear DS looks aftermarket then you most likely have an SYE as that's really the only reason to upgrade to an aftermarket rear shaft. Pay close attention to brake line and shock length because when you lift it more those will become problem areas. You may need to upgrade to longer shocks and brake lines so they are not acting as limit straps.

Hope this helps.

OH... and welcome to CF! Make sure to post in the "Introduction" section.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

outside to outside on the flat surfaces of the holes on my stock pitman arm is 3 5/8's. the lift you have is still questionable to me however. because you can run the LCA drop bracket on a 3". it should have different shocks on it though do you know what company's they are? this may give you a better hint as to what size and manufacturer of lift it is.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:51 PM

I will try to read the shocks. Do you know of any kits with a front sway relo bracket about 3 inch down? I can handle the brake lines and shock upgrade if needed, and with the control arm drops 'm sure it will handle a 1 or 2 inch boost but need to know stock f and r driveshaft lengths to see if mine are longer than stock.

Also, how much lift can a 93 sport take with stock shafts? front and rear?
and how much lift can a SYE take ( i guess any length because you replace it with a driveshaft having a slip in it, right?) -well the angle on the ujoints would limit a sye system iguess. that and brakehose/shocks?

if that's the case then i might just have a long driveshaft and no SYE because i dont remember it being a 2 piece telescoping shaft.

I think someone pieced together a 4 inch lift and now i need to boost it or trim fenders/both.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:48 PM

some guys were asking about my backspace and these are the results:

Ok, checked it out, and the old wheels were 15x 8 with 4 inch back space running worn out 31 10.50's (measured touch less than 29inches) actually rubbed once on a nasty parking lot approach going too fast.

Now the new tires are 33 12.50's on 15x 8 with 3.75 bs and are ideally sized according to Eric Zappe's High Perf Jeep Cherokee XJ Builder's Guide which is a nice reference, with good tech, but i know lots of people have lots to say...

Now i'm still not sure what lift i've got but..... this site http://www.rocklizardfabrications.co...dget_boost.htm mentions that the stock axle centerline to flare measurement is 17.5 front and 17" rear. Mine is.... 21 1/2" front and a lame 18.75 in the rear (told you rear was a saggin)

So, i can kinda assume ive got a 4 inch pieces parts lift up front and probably a wiped out aal for 4 inches in the back. and my rubbing is onthe flares/flaremounts.

EricZappe's book lists an average of 4.5 - 6 " lift with trimming to fit 33x12.50's using a 3.75"- 4.5 bs (your mileage may vary)

I'm heading out to examine for a sye, rear teleshaft, drop trak locator, pitman drop, brand of shock etc.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:40 PM

ok there is no sye, the front ds is telescopic (stock, right?) and the rear is a truck company replacement. I cant tell if the trackbar upper mount is stock or aftermarket drop, but the bar is bent in a big hoop to clear the punkin, and the lower mount looks stock and is right below a mount for the steering stabilizer (which is white/red boot).

All the shocks are steel gray no markings, the front sway bar drop bracket is stamped JSB, i think.

I'm thinking of getting a quality 2 inch coil spacer up front, and dropping the brake line brakets if needed.

The rear has me a little flummoxed, as i hate blocks (but admittedly this is a daily driven street rig that will see only occasional summer trail riding), I'm very nervous about the busting habit that rear upper shock mounts and shackle nuts have that i've been reading about. how do i get the rear up to 23 inches from 18.75 when it looks like an aal that has taken a powder.

If stock axle to flare is 17.5f 17"r, and it is currently 21.5f and 18.75" back-then if i put the front at 23.5" with a 23 rear to return it to level, that means 23"-18.75' equals another 4.25' !!! Holy cow! howmigonnadothatwhenbrokehahaha!