Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

How to completely get water out of oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 08:48 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default How to completely get water out of oil

Hey fellow Cherokee OR Jeep owners I have a issue that I'm kind of stumped on .

I went wheeling got stuck in a pond this past labor day weekend went in to fast and got a little water into my intake manifold and air filter got soaked.

So I got a little water in the oil noticed it when we brought my jeep back to camp changed to the oil twice since then and its really almost gone but a hair line amount of milkness at the very bottom of my dipstick but you can only notice it if you let the jeep sit over a period of time on the dip stick

Is this somthing I should be worried about?is it a huge deal ? should I just drive it a little bit longer for 1k miles ? Their is no change in engine noise or performance. Any input would be awesome thanks !

Vehicle Info
-88 Cherokee
-4.0 Liter
Old 09-06-2012, 08:51 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0, comp cam, 99 intake, apn header, neon injectors, Thunderbolt 2.5" High Flow Cat

you drain all the oil, run a quart or two through with the plug still out, then fill it back up. Yes, you want all the water out or it'll get to your bearings.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:57 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

i heard that you drain everything filter and all

fill it with 5-6 quarts of cheap oil

start and idle for a few min

drain again

refill

change oil after 1k miles again

oil is cheap compared to the cost of what water will do inside

change change change
Old 09-06-2012, 10:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000

I hydrolocked one of my old cars going through a parking lot that didn't look quite as flooded as it actually was.

Drained oil, shot the cylinders with WD40 and cranked it to get the water out of the cylinders (spent about 10 minutes repeating this process to ensure it was all gone), took apart the air cleaner box and cleaned/dried it out, topped off the oil, ran it for a half an hour, changed the oil and filter again, then drove it for about 500 miles and changed it again.

No problems after that other than a bad throttle position sensor.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:33 AM
Banned

Year: 2001

Water will be gone after you warm up engine.
Conventional oil somehow sucks moisture from air.
Every time you warm up engine, water disappears.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:44 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by car5car
I have heard this before as well, but having milky oil there is no way i would just drive it like that, a little bit of moisture is one thing, enough water to make your oil milky is another. It wont disappear fast enough to possibly not damage anything.

I would change it one more time andrew, put your jeep on ramps or something over night draining, change your oil filter, refill and you should be good to go.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by car5car

The "somehow" is called hygroscopy. Most of the time water in the motor because of condensation, it's nothing to worry about for short periods of down time. Most of your engine is sealed off to the environment and can't collect enough water to cause a condition. IF the motor were to sit for an extended amount of time then the water could cause damage.

Yes, some of the water will evaporate but if there is too much then the damage could happen before it leaves the motor in vapor form.

I would take the other suggestions of getting the water out.

I hope that makes sense...
Old 09-06-2012, 11:11 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by OleBlue

I have heard this before as well, but having milky oil there is no way i would just drive it like that, a little bit of moisture is one thing, enough water to make your oil milky is another. It wont disappear fast enough to possibly not damage anything.

I would change it one more time andrew, put your jeep on ramps or something over night draining, change your oil filter, refill and you should be good to go.
The oil isn't milky what's so ever its just if I check the dipstick in the early AM or have let the XJ sit for a while it will have a little Tiny tiny little white spec size of a grain of salt or size of the tip of a penny in the oil and only appears on one side of the dipstick.

The oil isn't milky at all and if I drive it around town and stop at like a gas station stop and check my oil it won't be their like it disapeared its weird Tim has me parenoid haha
Old 09-07-2012, 12:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by supermini99
if I check the dipstick in the early AM or have let the XJ sit for a while it will have a little Tiny tiny little white spec size of a grain of salt or size of the tip of a penny in the oil and only appears on one side of the dipstick.
Doesn't sound like you need to be worrying. Take the Jeep for a nice long drive to get the oil heated up. Provided your CCV system is operating correctly (is it?) that water will disappear.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:12 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Radi

Doesn't sound like you need to be worrying. Take the Jeep for a nice long drive to get the oil heated up. Provided your CCV system is operating correctly (is it?) that water will disappear.
What's CCV ?sorry still new to the acronyms
Old 09-07-2012, 08:22 AM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Originally Posted by supermini99
What's CCV ?sorry still new to the acronyms
Closed Crankcase Ventilation, its the two hoses off the top of the valve cover. It allows the engine to suck away fumes. Any water in the crank case should get heated up and inhaled into the intake manifold by the rear hose. The front hose must be free to allow fresh air to enter. If these hoses or their fittings are blocked then the water can just condense again and never really leave.

A lot of people - including parts stores! - incorrectly call this PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation). The difference is a valve is present in a PCV system where our CCV has a metered orifice allowing for flow all the time. Even though CCV is more open compared to PCV, its quite closed compared to the draft tubes it replaced

Last edited by salad; 09-07-2012 at 08:46 AM.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:50 AM
Seasoned Member

This is checking my oil after letting the jeep sit over night see the little spec of white at the end of the dipstick? This is what I'm worried about seems to be getting better though
Attached Thumbnails How to completely get water out of oil-forumrunner_20120907_064829.jpg   How to completely get water out of oil-forumrunner_20120907_064857.jpg  
Old 09-07-2012, 11:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

I see no issue...