Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

How to check if your axle has shifted post lift?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 11:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default How to check if your axle has shifted post lift?

I installed a 3" lift on my jeep awhile back. After the lift was installed i had issue lining up the track bar. I had to kinda jack it up turn the wheels and jimmy it in there pretty much. Now my wheel is pointing to the left about a quater turn. It also does pull a little bit. The post lift alignment has yet to be completed however, I would still like to know how to check to see if my axles have shifted at all. Pictures would be great showing me what to look for and measure etc.. I appreciate it ahead of time.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

I will tell you right now, yes, your axle has shifted a bit. An alignment will do you no good until you get an adjustable track bar. Stand in front of your Jeep looking directly at the front. I guarantee you will see that the front tire on the driver's side is sticking out a little more than on the passenger's side.
It's simple really. As you lifted the body away from the axle you had to pull the axle over too make your stock length track bar reach the mount. You will need an adjustable track bar to get your front end geometry right again...or lots of guys with 3 inch lifts just live with it the way it is...or they drill a new hole in the lower (axle mount). The only method I recommend is to get an adjustable track bar.