Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

How to add AUX port to factory Infinity stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default How to add AUX port to factory Infinity stereo?

I apologize if this thread has been discussed somewhere else... If so, can someone point me in the right direction?

I'm about to take delivery on a 2000 XJ with the factory Infinity stereo. Everything's great, except the lack of AUX input for the iPod . I've seen conversion kits and devices on various stereo companies that allows you to add an AUX cable to a factory stereo, but they're mostly in the $100 range. Since I just blew all my cash on the XJ, and the cheaper FM modulators are crap, it would be nice to be able to make my own converter.

I'm not sure if these Infinity stereos have CD changers in them, but if so I think there's a way to splice in to that port.

Thanks in advance to anyone who gives a damn about this topic.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:39 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 Liter

Bump. This would be nice.

Flash
Old 03-21-2012, 12:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by MNJeepInIL
I'm not sure if these Infinity stereos have CD changers in them, but if so I think there's a way to splice in to that port.
They may not have the actual changer but they have the port to attach one, Chrysler used mostly an 8-pin DIN connector on the back of the head unit. Most of the aftermarket AUX-input devices utilize that port. I found this, not sure if it will help if you want to try making your own...

Old 03-21-2012, 12:54 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

It's not going to be a simple "splice" into a port, if it's possible you will require one of those aux kits. Or you can try a "hard wired" fm modulator. This type actually wires in between the radio and antenna connection, which means much better sound quality. On par with those aux kits. Cost for one if I remember was around $50 a few years ago...
Old 03-21-2012, 12:57 PM
Seasoned Member

Eh... Looking at that diagram, if you can match the pins to the audio out left right and ground to a 1/8" audio plug that you have cut one end off of, you very well might be able to splice, assuming that there's no other "signals" the deck would require for that input to work. That pci bus wire might be a hangup, unless it just requires 12v? Dunno... Good luck. If you fry the factory stuff, all the more reason to go aftermarket

Last edited by SnakeEyes814; 03-21-2012 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by SnakeEyes814
It's not going to be a simple "splice" into a port, if it's possible you will require one of those aux kits. Or you can try a "hard wired" fm modulator. This type actually wires in between the radio and antenna connection, which means much better sound quality. On par with those aux kits. Cost for one if I remember was around $50 a few years ago...
Thanks for the replies - I found an FM Direct Adapter at Crutchfield just now online for $19.99 and free shipping. Seems like it'll be the easiest and cheapest way to go about it. I'll order one up as soon as I get a new check card (had to order a new card this morning as it seems someone tried to start an amazon account with my card last night... bastards) and will update on the install.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:54 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0l 6 cylinder

Originally Posted by SnakeEyes814
Eh... Looking at that diagram, if you can match the pins to the audio out left right and ground to a 1/8" audio plug that you have cut one end off of, you very well might be able to splice, assuming that there's no other "signals" the deck would require for that input to work. That pci bus wire might be a hangup, unless it just requires 12v? Dunno... Good luck. If you fry the factory stuff, all the more reason to go aftermarket
U could just install an aftermarket for the same price as those iPod attachments and I would sound better than stock
Old 03-21-2012, 02:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Engine: 4.0

I think SnakeEyes is right about it not being an easy task. I'm guessing that the head unit requires some kind of trigger in order for it to recognize that there is a CD changer attached and allow that input to be selected. Figuring out what that trigger is and simulating it through a splice is probably going to be problematic and expensive which might explain the $100 aux-adapters. I don't think they put that big box on the adapters just for show, I think it contains the electronics to trick the head unit into thinking it's got a CD changer attached to it and there's probably some noise suppression hardware in there, too.

I wish I had one of those head units, I'd love to play around with it.

I've been searching around a little and found this...

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/...nity-head.html

I've found it pretty difficult to locate DIYs for this based on model year, maybe you'll have better luck. The link I posted above illustrates my concern over the trigger and how to get around it by installing a switch that grounds a specific pin and tricks the head unit into thinking the CD changer is connected. I think he mentions the iterations of the Chrysler/Infinity head units this will work with and you might be able to adapt his technique to yours if you can find the pinout for your specific model. Good luck.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by F1Addict
I think SnakeEyes is right about it not being an easy task. I'm guessing that the head unit requires some kind of trigger in order for it to recognize that there is a CD changer attached and allow that input to be selected. Figuring out what that trigger is and simulating it through a splice is probably going to be problematic and expensive which might explain the $100 aux-adapters. I don't think they put that big box on the adapters just for show, I think it contains the electronics to trick the head unit into thinking it's got a CD changer attached to it and there's probably some noise suppression hardware in there, too.

I wish I had one of those head units, I'd love to play around with it.

I've been searching around a little and found this...

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/...nity-head.html

I've found it pretty difficult to locate DIYs for this based on model year, maybe you'll have better luck. The link I posted above illustrates my concern over the trigger and how to get around it by installing a switch that grounds a specific pin and tricks the head unit into thinking the CD changer is connected. I think he mentions the iterations of the Chrysler/Infinity head units this will work with and you might be able to adapt his technique to yours if you can find the pinout for your specific model. Good luck.
Yuuuup.