Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Hole from Starter Motor exposed to elements!!??

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 95
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Hole from Starter Motor exposed to elements!!??

Over the weekend, I prepped my AW4 transmission to be pulled out and rebuilt, but ran out of time. I quickly plugged the hole where the starter motor goes, with plastic bags to prevent dust from coming in, but I do not think it will protect against moisture. Next weekend, I plan on pulling and rebuilding the tranny, should I be concerned about this somewhat exposed hole for the next 5 days? Or can it get in there and do a through cleaning and librication on the engine side after the transmission is pulled.

Once the transmission is pulled, what is the best way to protect the engine while the transmission is being rebuilt? I was thinking about heavy duty black plastic surrounding the exposed engine, with duct tape acting as a collar. If this is insufficient, please advise otherwise.

The jeep is about 2 hours away, but I could go and seal it better if that is the advice I am given. some light snow is expected during the week.

Thank you-
Old 02-01-2010, 05:03 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

the only parts that will need protection is the input shaft so if you can just leave the converter in, and the hole where the dip stick goes, just leave the dip stick tube in, on the engine take the flexplate off to check to see if the rear main seal is leaking, and just clean any oil with brake cleaner