Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

High pitch whine after leaving shop

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 07:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default High pitch whine after leaving shop

I just had my '96 sport 4.0 in the shop to have a bunch of stuff done. The list is as follows: new exhaust manifold, new distributor, wires and spark plugs, and new oil pressure regulator, plus had the A/C recharged and tested for leaks.

When leaving the shop I noticed a very high pitched whine(squeal?) that went away when I stepped on the gas. It comes back when I let off the gas. I get it home and pop the hood. I can hear it at idle, coming from the engine compartment, but I can't find it. The belt was replaced a few months back so it's not that.

A few other factors; the A/C unit has been empty for several years (but we are moving to CO in May and I want A/C there!) as the last time I charged it, it all leaked out in a matter of a few weeks. My mechanic couldn't find any leaks after two days of being charged. It's holding pressure and there is nothing showing up from the UV dye they put in. Additionally when I went to pick it up it wouldn't start right away and when it did it threw a CEL right away. So they pulled it back in and found the ignition coil on the new distributor was bad. So he popped my old one on(just the coil) and it fired right up. He ordered a new one and I have the choice if I want to swap it out or not when I take it back to recheck for UV dye leaks.

The whine is definitely new and it concerns me. Any ideas or thoughts would be much appreciated. I'm going to have him look at it on Thursday when we take my wife's car in for service, but i am hoping to have some idea before then. Sorry for the wall of text!

Last edited by Anthonyb; 12-16-2014 at 07:08 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

A/C compressor and or clutch maybe? If it hasn't run for several years, could be a dry bearing/bushing. Tell your mechanic about the noise.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 I6

Ok, will do. I'll be in there on Thursday so I can have him look at it then. Thanks!