Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

High Oil Temperature, Regular Pressure.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L Stroker
Angry High Oil Temperature, Regular Pressure.

Hello all.

I am a little confused by my current 4.0 issue.
I have an oil temperature gauge installed in-line with an Oil Filter re-location kit.
Previously, When my oil temperature would creep above 225 (coolant never goes above 210) I would loose a cylinder. After a bit of check ups on many things, the issue was resolved. was a combination of a bad injector and a bad spark plug.
Temperatures here where I live recently hit 110+. On one day in particular, it was 115 outside, and whilst driving home from across town (50 miles) my Oil Temperature went dangerously high (At least for what I am comfortable with). Coolant temperature, again, didn't go above 210. My Oil Temperature, on the other hand, Crept up to 250, almost maxing out the gauge. Oil pressure is well within operating range as far as I have noticed.

One thing I noticed these past 2 days:
Oil will not creep up in temperature while I am stopped at a Red light.
Once I start to accelerate, the temperature begins to climb, 10 degrees at a time. After about 30 minutes of driving, Oil temperature will be above 220. No more dead cylinder, but, still.

Shouldn't the coolant temperature increase with the oil temperature or vise versa? It should be both at the same time, not one by itself being higher.

I'm thinking it is my Oil Pump, but I want to know what you guys think.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:13 PM
IJM
CF Veteran

Received 271 Likes on 202 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

In my experience, oil temps will fluctuate and often exceed coolant temps. I don't have an oil temp gauge in my Cherokee, but I do have a cooler and temp gauge in my GTI, so my experience is largely related to that. On a hot day at the track, I'll run about 240* oil temp with the cooler (probably closer to 270* before I put it in) with coolant temps around 210*. On the highway, it's closer to 200* oil temp and 190* coolant temp.

I have measured oil temp in the Cherokee by zapping the oil filter with an infrared thermometer. Assuming that's accurate, I saw 220* directly after about 8 miles of driving on the beach through soft sand. That's with no cooler and assuming my method is accurate. I'm assuming it would be lower on the highway unless I was blasting along at 90 mph or something.

If you're oil pressure reads fine, I wouldn't think it would be the oil pump, but I'm not terribly confident in that view either.

Last edited by IJM; 06-28-2017 at 12:17 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

I think what you describe is normal. Oil temp does not necessarily correlate with water temp. When temps here hit triple digits I make sure to run a 40 weight oil. Under those conditions 250F oil temp fine as long as your pressure is reliable.

On a side note make sure your engine temp gauge is accurate. Mine isn't. It works normally up to 210 and stops right there. I figured it out when I noticed the aux fan coming and the temp gauge was still at 210.