Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

High Oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 05:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default High Oil Pressure

So,I got in the Jeep this morning and my oil pressure was pegged out at 80. Even when the Jeep is warmed up it stays at 80 and regardless of rpm's. I'm thinking it's the sending unit, but just wanted to clarify. All the threads I've been reading have been low or no oil pressure, none about high oil pressure. It drives just fine and idles perfectly. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 11-30-2013, 05:10 PM
Seasoned Member

I'd be replacing it with an OEM sensor…probably from this website.

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/...FWUV7Aod13YAcg
Old 11-30-2013, 05:24 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Excellent plan. Did you change the oil filter recently?
Old 11-30-2013, 05:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Excellent plan. Did you change the oil filter recently?
No I sure haven't. I just replaced all my vacuum line and TPS though. Now my Jeep runs like a champ and the check engine light is off. It's just this high oil pressure now. I replaced the vacuum lines and TPS with OEM replacements off of dodgeparts.com. Oh and I just found the sending unit for $10 cheaper on dodgeparts.com….score! haha
Old 11-30-2013, 05:59 PM
Seasoned Member

So I just went and started the Jeep and now the pressure is reading about 55. Should I just replace the sensor or wait? Also, it started to hunt a bit at idle and sounded like it was going to die and then it just started to idle fine again.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:00 PM

You are good to go!!
Old 11-30-2013, 06:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

You could try cleaning it and the oil passage its attatched to with a little pipecleaner or something to see if the passage is blocked.

From what I have read, the mopar pressure sending unit is worth the cost over a generic one though. The 4.0 is apparently picky and the OEM Mopar one has lower failure rates than the cheap ones.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Cool, I just wait awhile then. Yea, all I've read is that these engines need OEM sensors, so that's all I've been replacing them with.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:53 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Clean out the connector to the OPSU first. Chances are it's full of crap. The OPSU works by varying its resistance so contaminants and corrosion will mess with the signal.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:33 AM

My jeep does the same thing off and on. Did not even consider that it could just be the sensor. I will have to pull it off and clean it first. See if that helps before replacing. Where is the sensor located and does it need some kind of sealant on the threads when reinstalling? Thanks.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by iowaSSfan
My jeep does the same thing off and on. Did not even consider that it could just be the sensor. I will have to pull it off and clean it first. See if that helps before replacing. Where is the sensor located and does it need some kind of sealant on the threads when reinstalling? Thanks.
Right above the oil filter. Don't take it out necessarily, but unplug it and clean the connectors first. If there's oil in there, replace it.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:26 AM
Seasoned Member

Thanks for the help y'all. I'll go ahead and clean it. Now let me ask this about a different issue I'm having. I just replaced my TPS with a OEM sensor and that fixed most of my problem, but I'm still having a low idle as if it's going to die. This just started happening yesterday and continued this morning. It drives just fine but when I come to a stop it has a really low idle. Also, when I take it out of park and put it in drive or reverse it boggs downs and feels like it's going to die. Could it be the IAC? Even with the new TPS I had a really hard time getting my Jeep to start upon the initial TPS replacement.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:44 AM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Yep. IAC takes orders from the TPS. Usually they just get really gummed up before they die. You ever clean it before?
Old 12-01-2013, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Coastie05
Thanks for the help y'all. I'll go ahead and clean it. Now let me ask this about a different issue I'm having. I just replaced my TPS with a OEM sensor and that fixed most of my problem, but I'm still having a low idle as if it's going to die. This just started happening yesterday and continued this morning. It drives just fine but when I come to a stop it has a really low idle. Also, when I take it out of park and put it in drive or reverse it boggs downs and feels like it's going to die. Could it be the IAC? Even with the new TPS I had a really hard time getting my Jeep to start upon the initial TPS replacement.

Courtesy of TJWalker:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
The Idle Air Control (IAC) is mounted on the back of the throttle body. (front for 87-90) The valve controls the idle speed of the engine by controlling the amount of air flowing through the air control passage. It consists of a stepper motor that moves a pintle shaped plunger in and out of the air control passage. When the valve plunger is moved in, the air control passage flows more air which raises the idle speed. When the valve plunger is moved out, the air control passage flows less air which lowers the idle speed. Over time and miles, the IAC can get carboned up which can have an adverse affect on idle quality. Cleaning the IAC may restore proper function and is an easy procedure to perform and good preventive maintenance so it is never a bad idea.

CLEANING THE JEEP 4.0 IDLE AIR CONTROL

Remove the air filter cover, associated hoses and the rubber boot that goes from the air filter cover to the throttle body. Remove the IAC with a torx driver (2 bolts; one can be kind of hard to get to)

“Gently” wiggle out the IAC from the throttle body. Gasket on the IAC can be re-used if it is not damaged

Clean the IAC with a spray can of throttle body cleaner; inexpensive and available at any place that sells auto parts. Throttle body cleaner is recommended rather than carburetor cleaner as it is less harsh, safe for throttle body coatings and is best for this task. Use cleaner, a rag and a toothbrush and or Q-Tips. Be gentle; don’t twist or pull on the pintle that protrudes from the IAC as it is fragile and you could damage it.

Thoroughly spray clean and flush where the IAC seats in the throttle body with the same spray cleaner

It is also a good idea to clean the entire throttle body itself, the butterfly valve inside of the throttle body and all associated linkage as long as you have things disassembled
Old 12-01-2013, 03:02 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by salad
Yep. IAC takes orders from the TPS. Usually they just get really gummed up before they die. You ever clean it before?
Nope I sure haven't, but I'm going to now. Hopefully cleaning it does the trick.

Quick Reply: High Oil Pressure