Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

hi flow water pump, t-stat housing...really that great?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 10:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7
Default hi flow water pump, t-stat housing...really that great?

So since summer is coming and i finally have a good job lol, im gonna upgrade my cooling system, first off im gonna get an all metal 3 core radiator, but my question is, is the hi flow water pump and t stat housings really worth it? or would the 3 core rad be enough, i think it would but im no cooling expert lol, i already have a new 180 t stat in it right now and it runs pretty good, but it just gets to the point where the e fan comes on quickly sometimes, i just want to delay that action, im also gonna install a second e fan ran on a switch so i have two
Old 03-05-2011, 10:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0 HO

3 row rad from CSF go to Radiatorbarn.com
Well worth it. the high flow pump is not what it sounds to be after reading a lot from experienced people about it.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:28 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by JeepingDan
3 row rad from CSF go to Radiatorbarn.com
Well worth it. the high flow pump is not what it sounds to be after reading a lot from experienced people about it.
cool thats where i found the radiator at lol, yeah i havent heard the greatest things about the hi flow pump, ill probably just do the rad, the second e fan to a switch and then ill just go from there, but i have a feeling that will work great
Old 03-05-2011, 10:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO

Efan comes on at 218F. This time of year, if all stock OEM components in the cooling system functioning correctly, I can't see the efan coming on. Ours doesn't. The stock cooling system is adequate for this time of year. Me thinks your cooling system has some issues, since the efan is turning on and replacing items with stock components will make the biggest difference. If money is no object, get the so called hi-flow stuff and thicker rad. One thing to consider regarding the 3 row rad, it may have 3 rows vs stock 1 row but it's far from 3X thicker. It may perform a little better but not a tremendous amount. The biggest draw back to the XJ cooling system is the dinky surface area of the rad. Every thing's got to be in tip-top shape to maintain coolant temp during the hot summer months. When u start replacing stuff, be sure to replace the fan clutch and rad cap along with the other items u mentioned.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:39 AM
CF Veteran

well its fine this time of year, i can idle for a few hours and the temp slowly climbs to 210 (180 t stat in it now) but again it takes forever, so my cooling system is in good shape, im just preparing for the summer months, and im going to be doing a lot of traveling this summer too so i just wanna be prepared ahead of time, so im not really fixing something thats wrong, just making it better than it already is
Old 03-05-2011, 10:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO

Your gauge may not be telling you the whole story. The ECU turns the efan on at 218. You're using a 180 t-stat and ambient temps in your area are still cool/cold, I presume. It sounds to me like your coolant temps are rising 38 degrees (maybe more) above your t-stat open temp. A 180 t-stat is wide open at 195 so if your coolant temps continue to climb to 218, it just seems to me your cooling system has some issues. If it were July-August, I'd think nothing of it.