Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Hi everyone, new to the forum. ECM issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Hi everyone, new to the forum. ECM issue

Hello everyone, Working on a 1998 (or at least I think it is) XJ Sport.

I have a no start issue, discovered wire harness that crosses behind exhaust manifold close to the firewall was touching. Numerous burned wires, repaired wires, one at a time so not to mix any up. Still no start, chasing the 5volt reference around the harness.

One of my first issues is trying to identify what year it is, drivers door sticker shows build date as 11/98. Emissions sticker and Vin # show it as a 1999, after doing some searching, it has does not have the three wire oil-pressure sensor, it is a two wire typical to 98. The ecm has no id# on it may have changed.

Does anybody have any ideas as to determine what year the electrical and harness is? Looking at parts shows quite of few differences between 1998 parts and 1999. I was checking on-line for an ECM just in case i need one, looks like 99 and 98 do not interchange.

Thanks in advance
Old 04-09-2017, 01:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Jeep website lets you get a build sheet. Just enter the VIN

https://jeep.custhelp.com/app/jeep/e...UyMSUyMQ%3D%3D
Old 04-09-2017, 04:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

I'm really not your guy here for what I'd guess is a 99. "That", or one of those 5V feed wires, if it grounds may blow a mini fuse in the pdc, taking out your ASD relay. It isn't rare that wires to the rear 02 sensor are the culprit. The Jeeps I know better don't have anything for Automatic Shutdown, and I'm just fine with that!