Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

hey...can i get your opinion about a lift kit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hey...can i get your opinion about a lift kit?

hey everybody,
im new here, and i jsut want to say hi to everyone. i drive a 2001 cherokee sport. the thing is a tank, and i represent jeeps to the bone. it basically stock, except for clear marker lights, sound system, and i powder coated the wheels black.

this is where i would appreciate some peoples opinions, im looking to lift my truck. i would like a 3- 3.5 inch lift. another thing is that the suspension in my jeep is all about only a year old. i got all new shocks, new steering stabilizer and leaf springs. and i was hoping that i can just use the shocks i have now and not have to buy them again. ive done some looking around and i came across a rubicon express super ride lift kit from http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=41175

i was wondering if thats all i really need, because ive also noticed that it says i may need cv driveshaft and i was wondering if that was completely necessary.

i do go off roading occasionally, nothing too ridiculous but i do like to push it through the mud once in a while. so i dont need a great kit. if you have any advice on getting a descent size lift kit, with a good wheel and tire combo id appreciate it very much. im also trying to do this under $2000.00 if its possible. thank you for taking your time in reading this and helping me. my e mail is emericanxzero@gmail.com

Last edited by Carl_s; 03-18-2008 at 01:02 PM.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:21 PM
Seasoned Member

I do know that at 2" and less, you can get away with stock shocks... for awhile. At 3" + you need longer shocks.

Someone will chime in with the rest...
Old 03-18-2008, 01:31 PM

Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Straight 6 Bangger!

Welcome.....I do know that if you try to use your stock shocks with at least a 3" lift, they will break!! I did it with my 89 and it would always break from the tip on the top. I did it that way for a while. I must have replaced them 5 or 6 times...LOL...Lifetime warranty at Autozone!
Old 03-18-2008, 03:06 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0l

At 3-3.5in you aren't going to be able to use stock length shocks. I think even at 2in you require longer shocks. On to your other things. Having new leaf packs you should be ok to go with an add a leaf. Other problems you might encounter would be needing a SYE, Slip Yoke Eliminator. If you search around you should be able to find more information on these.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

I have a 2001 like you and just put an OME 2.5" kit on it. It vibrates and i had to order a sye kit for mine. You will most likely need it for yours too. It's worth the $$ to do it the rigth way anyways. With that kit, you'd want to get an adjustable front trackbar, say from JKS (great trackbar!) and some front brake lines. A beefier steering stabilizer would be wise as well. All this should land you around $1000 and then you have the rest for your tire/wheel combo. To save soem money, you can just get a sye kit from PORC for $200
( http://www.performanceoffroadcenter....72d088eb3431df ) and then pick up a front driveshaft from another xj, preferrably the new ones because they are longer. Junkyards have em.

This'll help you find the longest shaft:
http://www.crownautomotive.net/catal...r_shafts2.html

Chris