Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Help. Xj losing power.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Help. Xj losing power.

So I have had the jeep a Lil over 2 months now. 1997 cherokee. Has been running great since I've got it. But recently has been giving me some trouble. Has codes p1391 and p0320. Driving down the road and the jeep randomly starts to lose power, when I push the throttle it spits and spudders and backfires. Does it for a Lil bit and than clears up and doesn't do it again. Has a very slight miss at idle but nothing major. Replaced cap, rotor, and plugs so far. Leaning towards the crankshaft position sensor but not sure and wanna spend the least amount of money to fix it as possible.
Old 11-16-2016, 10:00 PM

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts
Year: 1989

Originally Posted by perearacing
So I have had the jeep a Lil over 2 months now. 1997 cherokee. Has been running great since I've got it. But recently has been giving me some trouble. Has codes p1391 and p0320. Driving down the road and the jeep randomly starts to lose power, when I push the throttle it spits and spudders and backfires. Does it for a Lil bit and than clears up and doesn't do it again. Has a very slight miss at idle but nothing major. Replaced cap, rotor, and plugs so far. Leaning towards the crankshaft position sensor but not sure and wanna spend the least amount of money to fix it as possible.
Somebody here should know those codes. Sorry I can't help. I'm not even going to make suggestions because I don't know what the codes mean and rather than throwing out randomness. Wait and see what the codes point to. Hope you get it fixed.
Old 11-16-2016, 10:35 PM

Engine: 4.0L

It looks like its the crank sensor codes. First one appears to be the sensor code and the second seems to be a no signal code for that sensor
Old 11-17-2016, 01:23 AM

Year: 1996

Originally Posted by chizuck
It looks like its the crank sensor codes. First one appears to be the sensor code and the second seems to be a no signal code for that sensor
^The truth has been spoken here. If you replace the crank sensor, make sure it's OEM. Aftermarket ones are notorious for being bad out of the box.

Also, here's a great thread to start from next time you need to look up what a code means.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/jee...di-obdii-3341/
Old 11-17-2016, 12:42 PM

So would the cps cause it to lose power while I'm driving down the road?
Old 11-17-2016, 04:31 PM

So would the cps cause it to lose power while I'm driving down the road?
Most definitely. I had this issue when I first got my 98 cherokee, got a oem CPS sensor and have not a issue sense. But like mentioned before buy oem sensors 3rd party ones tend to have issues.
Old 11-17-2016, 04:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

"Has codes p1391 and p0320."
"Does it for a Lil bit and than clears up and doesn't do it again."

Connector(s) / wiring
Old 11-17-2016, 06:17 PM

alright. well i will go ahead and change it out. either way wont hurt anything. where can i get an oem sensor?

and while im replacing it i will also check and clean all connectors and check the wiring
Old 11-17-2016, 06:41 PM

Year: 1996

http://www.moparamerica.com/jeep/che...e-speed-sensor
Old 11-17-2016, 10:42 PM

Great site with a great price
Old 11-18-2016, 12:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

alright. well i will go ahead and change it out. either way wont hurt anything. where can i get an oem sensor?

and while im replacing it i will also check and clean all connectors and check the wiring
If you have a multimeter do a simple continuity test before replacing the sensor. Could be an open line/bad connection and you could save yourself the money for a new sensor.
Old 11-23-2016, 03:23 PM

So I have replaced the crankshaft position sensor, throttle position sensor, cleaned the throttle bottle and iac, checked for vacuum leaks and still got problems. Disconnected the battery while replacing the cps and codes cleared. Still having a rough idle and now the problem seems to be different. The idle is rough and fluctuating and runs like **** only when leaving from a stop. Spits and spudders and than clears up after the rpms are up a little.
Old 11-23-2016, 03:48 PM
CF Veteran

So I have replaced the crankshaft position sensor, throttle position sensor, cleaned the throttle bottle and iac, checked for vacuum leaks and still got problems. Disconnected the battery while replacing the cps and codes cleared. Still having a rough idle and now the problem seems to be different. The idle is rough and fluctuating and runs like **** only when leaving from a stop. Spits and spudders and than clears up after the rpms are up a little.
Your plugs properly gapped?
Old 11-23-2016, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by LACK
Your plugs properly gapped?
Old 11-23-2016, 04:58 PM
CF Veteran

Injector plugs clean/getting good connection? I had a similar issue with mine. Crappy idle after I replaced cap, rotor, plugs and wires. #3 Injector plug was corroded and wasnt getting good connection.

Start the jeep and let it idle. Unplug one injector plug at a time, see if the idle changes. If you unplug one and the idle doesnt change then you found the culprit.