Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Help on wiper blades/arms!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 09:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4d56td
Default Help on wiper blades/arms!!

Hi guys i need help on the wipers of my jeep , i recently change them because they where not cleaning well , but now i noticed that the blade doesnt fully sits on glass as pictured , you can see in the middle of the RH wiper there is no contact with the glass , so i tried bending the wiper arm a little bit to check if it lowered a little bit but nothing , i though it could be the arm spring but really dont know what is causing it , does any body knows anything bout this...
Attached Thumbnails Help on wiper blades/arms!!-img-20120131-00011.jpg   Help on wiper blades/arms!!-img-20120131-00012.jpg  
Old 01-31-2012, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Replace the entire arms
Old 01-31-2012, 09:45 AM

mmm , i was affraid someone said that , the thing is that here in my country is really difficult to find those arms , they should sell them on the crhysler dealer but it will cost me an eye of face if they got them..
wouldnt it be the same to replace the spring on the arm ?? i have seen people doing it maibe it could work , have any one try this??
Old 01-31-2012, 11:06 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997

Im sure new arms would fix your issue but a different set of blades may as well. I see you have those new one piece blades. They work well but the natural curve in them may be too strong for your arms. I know blades are expensive for what you get these days but probably cheaper and easier to get than arms according to what you have said. Keep the box and if it doesnt work you can always return them.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:16 PM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

XX2 on what gpeade said.. those one piece heavy duty blades are just too much for your old arms. As an alternative you might look at these.. http://www.surewipe.com/options.php?lg=en

Order online, or got a walmart near you?
Old 01-31-2012, 01:22 PM

Year: 2001

Speaking of which, I need a new rear arm
... no luck finding one either. And I do not like that fact that the front do not fold up.... errrr
Old 01-31-2012, 02:42 PM

thats the issue , that as i live in foreign country i have to ordered and then whait for at least 15 days and thats what i did not wanted to , but if there is no other choice then im going to have to , i found them on ebay , they are sold new for 20 us , here is the link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JEEP-CHEROKE...ht_3037wt_1054

as for the wipers i saw ones on a cable commercial that came with some liquid that beaded the water , those are rain-x Repel.
Here is the link of the item ..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-New-Rain-X...ht_1978wt_1401

and the video of it on the website...

http://www.rainx.com/repel/video.aspx
Old 01-31-2012, 02:43 PM
Seasoned Member

I think just about any arm would work as long as the length works. From my experience all the shafts of the older cars were the same through out all the american manufacturers. If it has the release clip or the real old ones that just pull off I think either will fit.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:07 PM

yeah i know it is like that, but the thing is that in my country american vehicles parts are a lot more expensive than Japanese parts , so if this arms cost at least 20us buying them on internet you may swear that in the parts dealer they will cost about 55 each , that's why i buy everything on ebay cause its a lot cheaper , i think that here my xj is the nicest one , cause people here don't buy new parts for them because of the cost of the parts, i think that only about 4 guys my age have xj and im the only one that uses it for off roading, the others have them dragging on the floor with 20" chromed rims etc, i have seen xj's here that make me cry of how destroyed they are, i got mine like new cause i buy everything online at a cheaper price...
Old 01-31-2012, 05:22 PM

well , until i get a new set of wipers i came up with this fix , i thought if it is the spring that its loosing power than i should strengthened a little bit , so i bent the clip on the spring holder to force the spring a little more , it worked pretty well ,now they dont leave a trail of water on windshield, but im sure this is a temporary fix until i can get my new ones ...
Attached Thumbnails Help on wiper blades/arms!!-img-20120131-00016.jpg   Help on wiper blades/arms!!-img-20120131-00017.jpg  
Old 01-31-2012, 05:50 PM
N8N

Year: 1999

re: wipers don't fold up, I just found this out recently after complaining about the same thing (sometimes we get freezing rain at night and I don't like having my wiper blades frozen to the windshield) lift the arms as high as you can then pull the little tab on the arm near the pivot away from the arm. et voila. IMHO not as nice as the European type arms where you pull them up over center and they stay that way but it does get the job done and it's nicer than a lot of American designs that you can't put up at all.

I'll have to look and see if it's documented in the owner's manual but I did have reason to try it one night after someone told me that and it works.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:01 AM
Seasoned Member

I doubt you will find that in the manual. While it is a good way to keep them up off the glass, that is actually the way to remove them. once you do this step they will slide up off the post if you pull it. The tab you pull out actually locks the arm on the shaft.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:20 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 H.O. 180K miles

I had this same problem when i replaced my wiper blades. At first i couldn't get them to hold against the windshield, but after some fiddling around with the splines and locking pin they locked into the right position. I think your arms are fine, just fiddle with the clip and splines until you get it to seat right, when the clip isnt locked the blade will not lay on the windshield
Old 04-08-2012, 12:50 PM

Red face Video

For anyone that needs it, here's a video on removing the wiper arm from 1997 Jeep Cherokee:

I have a 1993 Jeep Cherokee. The trick is to use both hands to wiggle it off after prying up the tab. I tried to do it with one hand and couldn't pull it off without feeling like I was going to break the thing. *shrugs*

Last edited by Thanosrox; 04-08-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by preppye
Hi guys i need help on the wipers of my jeep , i recently change them because they where not cleaning well , but now i noticed that the blade doesnt fully sits on glass as pictured , you can see in the middle of the RH wiper there is no contact with the glass , so i tried bending the wiper arm a little bit to check if it lowered a little bit but nothing , i though it could be the arm spring but really dont know what is causing it , does any body knows anything bout this...
any one notice pass arms bent and those are not year correct either

Quick Reply: Help on wiper blades/arms!!