Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Help! What lift would you guys suggest?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 01:40 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Help! What lift would you guys suggest?

Hey everybody,

So here is the deal... my Dad and I went out wheelin yesturday and he ended up snapping his left rear leaf spring clean in half. They had been cracked already due to towing a heavily overloaded Uhaul trailer across the county and that one finally let go. So since he has to buy the leaf springs anyway I have convinced him to buy a lift while he is at it. Now comes the decision on what lift to buy. The jeep is a 2001 Cherokee Sport. He is looking for a lift between 3 and 4.5 inches but doesn't want to spend a ton of money. I noticed the amount of parts and prices of lifts increase quite a bit between 3.5 and 4.5in so he was thinking of maybe going with a 3.5 inch lift. So my question to everyone is what brand and size lift would you guys recommend. He also wants a lift that rides pretty nice on the road since he drives quite a bit and this is going on his daily driver. I have heard a lot of good things over the past few years from people that have bought Rubicon Express Lifts. I was eying this setup on there site since this is around what my dad was looking to pay. http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Suspen...px?part=RE6025
He would possibly be willing to pay more if there is other options out there that may be better. The problem is this is kinda rushed since he needs to get the jeep back on the road pretty quick and I don't know a ton about different lift brands etc. Also I was wondering what else if anything you guys would recommend to be bought with the lift. I noticed Rubicon Express recommends a SYE/CV Driveline with a 3.5in lift. Most people I talk to say buy and install the lift and then go from there if you end up having vibrations so I guess I should wait on that. Also a lot of people say to get the Super Flex kit rather the the Super Ride. They say just upgrade the shocks and it will ride almost as good and be much better off road. He isnt going to be doing any crazy wheelin with this but we do go out quite a bit and do some moderate stuff. Sorry for all the confusion and questions. Basically what I am looking for is what brand and size lift you guys would go with and what needs to be bought along with it to make everything work. Any help or input is greatly appreciated!
Old 06-30-2009, 01:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0L I6

i thought i already answered this thread?

EDIT nevermind i did but on JPF
Old 06-30-2009, 03:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

thats a pretty nice kit but remeber you will need shocks with that kit OME makes some of the nicest riding kits on the market and have different spring rates for hauling may want to look into one of their kits also if want save some money but still get a decent kit RC has some nice kits and are the cheapest price you will find go directly to their website to see them
Old 06-30-2009, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if this was me i would get this lift

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchan...ode=sus_xj_kit

they are very high quality lifts