Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

HELP!!! tcase issues- stuck in 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 01:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default HELP!!! tcase issues- stuck in 4wd

i need this fixed asap! this is my DD.
94 cherokee 4x4
dana 30,35, np231 (i believe 2wd, pt4 hi ft4x4 n 4lo)
went muddin the other day and it wont come out of part time...the light stays on

i took the front driveshaft out so i could get it home. tried putting it back in today and tried checking the linkage/shifting it by hand on the tcase, didnt work. so i took the driveshaft back out again and then tried to shift on the fly, i can tell it engages into full time 4wd i can hear the front yoke spinning but when i give it gas it does nothing as if it was in neutral but the light goes off so i tried to shift on the fly and put it in 2wd and it still says 4wd

i tried changing the fluid in the tcase...it needed it and i did find bits of rubber inside...someone on here said not to worry about it but what could that be?

any help is greatly appreciated thanks
Old 05-12-2012, 03:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

Have you tried putting the TC back into 4WD LOW, then 4WD N, then slamming (not really "slamming", that sounds bad, but aggressively disengaging) the TC lever back into 2WD? Mine has been hesitant to disengage a couple times (same NP231 TC) and this has worked every time to get it back into 2WD.

This is the process I use after realizing my Part Time light is still on...

1. Put AT in neutral.
2. Put TC in 4WD LOW
3. Shift AT to 1-2
4. Move forward a couple feet
5. Put AT back into neutral
6. Move TC to N
7. Then "firmly" move TC lever to 2WD
8. Put AT in P, then D.

The first time I did this, the transfer case disengaged 4WD as I passed REVERSE on my way to Park, the second time I had to shift into D again to get it to disengage. Either way, it successfully disengaged both times.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Thanks for the reply. I've had to use the same technique before but now that doesn't even work. I changed the fluid someone said if its low it could have a problem shifting. When I drainded it I found little chunks of rubber/plastic? Someone told me it was probably from the gasket silicone. Could it be an internal issue that is an expensive fix. Is the shifter fork (I believe that's what its called) expensive to replace?
Old 05-12-2012, 05:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Anyone else have an idea? I need to fix it tomorrow!
Old 05-12-2012, 07:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 5.2

does the 4x4 shifter move? And are you sure the indicator light is working? Also if the shifter does move, have someone climb under it to see if the linkage for the transfer case is actually moving the detent on the t case.

On a side note I had a couple 4x4 chevys that would do this and I would creep fwd while putting pressure on the shifter, would usually pop out.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Yeah the shift lever moves like it should and I've looked at it while someone else moved the shift lever. It used to give me problems ever once in a while ( it wouldn't shift until I went from drive to reverse a few times. And yes the light works it will go off when in neutral or 4full time but when in 2wd position the light is still on and you can tell its binding
Old 05-12-2012, 11:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Bwallace33908
Yeah the shift lever moves like it should and I've looked at it while someone else moved the shift lever. It used to give me problems ever once in a while ( it wouldn't shift until I went from drive to reverse a few times. And yes the light works it will go off when in neutral or 4full time but when in 2wd position the light is still on and you can tell its binding
First if you have full time then you have the np242 not the np231. Second, my buddys xj has the 242 and had the same problem. The first time it happend he was trail riding with the lever in 2wd but was still in part time just like you. Well he got.stuck in a mud hole and after rocking the jeep back and forth for a little bit, trying to get unstuck, it went into 2wd (making him more stuck). He then put it back in 4wd to get out of the mud hole. Same problem again, stuck in part time. When we got home I looked at his linkage for him and come to find out it was worn out and needed adjusted. Try adjusting yours and see if that will help. If not then rock the crap out of it lol