Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

HELP stuck outta town with a junk jeep lol

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default HELP stuck outta town with a junk jeep lol

Im new to this forum and to jeeps and i just bought this jeep.. i knew better then to try to drive to a buddys farm 2 hours away but of couse i wanted to so i did..

its a 1990 inline 6 4.0 automatic jeep with 205k miles.. when i bought it i changed oil, fluids, plugs and wires on it and air filter and cleaned the throttlebody because the guy before me said in the last 6 years its been driven off road ONLY for about 12 miles total and started occasionally.

anyway it was really hard to start once i got here took about 2 minutes to start it and once it started it ran fine but now when driving is boggs down ALOT and when you floor it it just boggs down and you go no where.. so i then shut it off and once again its really hard to start and if it does start its jus sluggish sometimes but then other times it runs fine. im so confused..

also when driving it idles really low once warm and then when turing it kills its self but if you start it soon as it shuts off it starts back up..

PLEASE help i need to get back home.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:16 PM

should i take the fuel filter off and get a new one
Old 03-30-2012, 02:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0l 6Cyl

Sounds like a possible fuel related issue. Might have a worn fuel pump or clogged fuel filter. It wouldn't hurt to swap it out with a new one and see how that goes. If you have access to a fuel pressure gauge put it on the fitting on the fuel rail and check for accurate pressure.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000, (1957 Willys)
Engine: 4.0L

Sounds like a fuel problem. The filter is probably 22 years old. Additionally , old fuel burns about as well in an engine as day old tampons.

Moisture, dump a bottle of heat in. It's a possibility after sitting so long.

Keep us posted and good luck.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:36 PM

yeah i put some heat in it when i got the truck and ill change fuel filters, there is not much in this town at all, ill see if thier parts store has anytime of guage i can rent or buy
Old 03-30-2012, 02:43 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

If there isn't much gas in the tank see if you can get some new gas in it. Better yet, siphon as much of the old gas out first then put new gas in. Might be good to run some injector cleaner in the fuel too.

Fuel filter is inside the tank, gotta drop it to get to it.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Dan91
If there isn't much gas in the tank see if you can get some new gas in it. Better yet, siphon as much of the old gas out first then put new gas in. Might be good to run some injector cleaner in the fuel too.

Fuel filter is inside the tank, gotta drop it to get to it.
oh crap i though the fuel filter was external like most trucks and stuff.. well hell.. how hard is it to drop the tank with very little tools in a parking lot lol
Old 03-30-2012, 02:52 PM

Year: 96
Engine: 4 liter

Yes on a 99 XJ the fuel filter is inside the tank. PITA for newer XJs to r&r.
On PRE 97 models it's right where it should be above the left rear wheel strapped to the uniframe.
It's cheap n easy too. Just be sure to depressurize the fuel system first with the valve on the fuel rail and a rag.

When u cleaned the throttle body u didn't use carb cleaner did you?
Could've damaged the Idle Air Control valve not using actual "throttle body cleaner" for fuel injected vehicles with electronic sensors.
take it out, clean with simple green and a toothbrush, DO NOT move the pintle or you'll break it. Replace.
10 minutes of scrubbing may solve your issue.

If the IACV doesn't work properly, u won't get enough air with the fuel causing low erratic idle.

Check your TPS too.
Also if you haven't since purchase, be sure to adjust your Transmission kickdown cable as well. An out of whack cable can cause all sorts of weirdness
with power and shifting among other "gremlin-like" behaviors.
Linky: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1015963

Last edited by Solomon7; 03-30-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:07 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Solomon7
On PRE 97 models it's right where it should be above the left rear wheel strapped to the uniframe.
Ah right, totally forgot about that!
Old 03-30-2012, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Solomon7
It's cheap n easy too. Just be sure to depressurize the fuel system first with the valve on the fuel rail and a rag.

When u cleaned the throttle body u didn't use carb cleaner did you?
Could've damaged the Idle Air Control valve not using actual "throttle body cleaner" for fuel injected vehicles with electronic sensors.
take it out, clean with simple green and a toothbrush, DO NOT move the pintle or you'll break it. Replace.
10 minutes of scrubbing may solve your issue.

If the IACV doesn't work properly, u won't get enough air with the fuel causing low erratic idle.

Check your TPS too.
Also if you haven't since purchase, be sure to adjust your Transmission kickdown cable as well. An out of whack cable can cause all sorts of weirdness
with power and shifting among other "gremlin-like" behaviors.
Linky: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1015963

well crap i did use carb cleaner i didnt know any different. okay im on the way to get a fuel filter now and maybe ill try to find a junk yard and just grab a whole new throttle body and sensors bc i know he doesnt have tools to remove the snsors..
Old 03-30-2012, 03:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1997

How does the exhaust sound? This could be a melted cat problem. A partially clogged cat may make it hard to start but idle fine and will have the symptom of no power when trying to accelerate. This exhasut might sound funny, kind of like a leaking air hose, hard to explain but it won't sound normal.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Cherockee
How does the exhaust sound? This could be a melted cat problem. A partially clogged cat may make it hard to start but idle fine and will have the symptom of no power when trying to accelerate. This exhasut might sound funny, kind of like a leaking air hose, hard to explain but it won't sound normal.
exhaust sounds like it should no rattles or anything ill beat around on it and see if i hear anything when i get back
Old 03-30-2012, 05:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000, (1957 Willys)

'Flushing' the Schrader valve on the fuel rail might move enough fuel to flush any 'varnished' gunk you have . This will quickly take your fuel pressure from 40psi or so to 0, then back to 40ish. Do it a few times. (ignition on, fuel pump needs to be on, have some rags) This fluctuation in pressure might help dislodge any gunk built up. It's a bit of a hail Mary, but it sounds like you're running the statue of liberty play already, so there's not much left to lose.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:45 PM
Seasoned Member

put some seafoam in the gas too.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:43 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by withoutfear33
well crap i did use carb cleaner i didnt know any different.
I've used carb cleaner on numerous occasions and never had an issue. Just saying.