Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

HELP!!! Smoke in the cabin!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 03:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default HELP!!! Smoke in the cabin!!!!

I WAS DRIVING MY (NEW FOR ME) 1999 CHEROKEE 4.0 4X4. The A/C was working fine and then decided to start blowing hot. Then I noticed the smell of smoke and saw smoke in the cabin from under the glove box. What could it be? I'm in Florida and need my ac. The blower stopped blowing, but I shut it off

Last edited by Vincenza V; 07-15-2011 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99

huh... did any of the dummy gauges read different? does it seem to run different? have you checked fuses and fluids? CEL on?
Old 07-14-2011, 03:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99

what does the smoke smell like? gassy/oily or burning/melting?
Old 07-14-2011, 04:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Engine: I6

Almost sounds like your ac system sprung a leak and spilled 183a on the hot engine.

If you can't be good, be good at it!
Old 07-14-2011, 04:44 PM

It smelled Burnt-burnt-like something was burning, not oil smell. I did try the blower motor and it is NOT functional via the switch. Could it be I simply burnt up the blower motor since I did smell a burnt smell and it's not working? I doubt its a fuse, because my life isn't that easy, but I will check. If a fuse blew-there was a reason right? How hard are they to change? Any special tricks or tools needed? I'm not sure if there is a write-up on it. Maybe I'll create on if there isn't one. I plan on taking pictures to keep track of my teardown anyways.

-No funny gauges or CEL. I'll check the fluids tomorrow morning when its cold.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:52 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: I6

Blower motors are pretty simple to replace, as are the motor switch. Sounds like you might be on the right track, but check the fuses first.

Always check the most obvious first, followed by the cheapest.

If you can't be good, be good at it!
Old 07-14-2011, 05:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: ERH 4.0L 16 Power Tech

Sounds like a blower motor to me.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:41 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 92

Yeah me too . That's what mine did when it went out
Old 07-15-2011, 07:54 AM

Thanks for repling Highwater-did you do your yourself?

Magiksreal-you said they are easy to replace, the FSM says you have to evacuate the regrigerant and must remove move the accumulator and then you can get to it from the engine compartment That sound like a big PITA. Is there an easier way???
Old 07-15-2011, 09:44 AM

I saw on yahoo-Jeeps have a 'resistor' on the blower unit that is well known for burning out-I've had my rubicon replaced twice, my son's 95 XJ has gone through 3 already. Find one of the Yahoo Jeep groups for XJ's and search for the instructions on how to test and replace the resistor and motor. Will save you a LOT of mechanic bills.

Could it be JUST the resistor??? Is this truley a common part to fail? Would it smoke if it failed?
Old 07-15-2011, 09:56 AM

Year: 1997 & 1998

I've had the resistor block go out as had others and never did they go up in smoke. The blower always worked on high if they did. I don't think that this is his issue. It is a common failure item due to moisture corroding the part and causing failure. The symptoms are always the same, no medium or high settings on the fan and usually a sudden failure. The blower burnt up in this case by what is being told.

The accumulator is in the way of removal. Look under the hood at the firewall on the passenger side and you'll see the blower motor plainly right behind the metal bottle which is the accumulator. I have successfully turned the accumulator sideways without removing it and was able to transplant a blower motor without much hassle. You remove the strap holding it to it's bracket and carefully turn it sideways toward the engine. This gives you just enough clearance to get the motor out. Remove the power plug, then the several hex head screws holding the motor in. Pull straight back and out. Installation is the reverse.

Last edited by wjnfirearms; 07-15-2011 at 10:00 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:57 AM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

he blower motor is a easy just takes time (it is a day long projet 5-7 hours depending on how fast you work)

it could be the switch and/or blower motor.

replace both as the switch burns up due to the blower motor being old and having to much resistance on the switch
Old 07-15-2011, 10:21 AM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0 L

Originally Posted by Vincenza V
I doubt its a fuse, because my life isn't that easy, but I will check. If a fuse blew-there was a reason right?.
With used vehicles, when checking fuses also make sure that the proper rated fuse is being used.Sometimes instead of repairing the cause of a fuse that keep blowing people will just put a larger rated fuse in place.
Electronics of course burn up but the properly rated fuse should blow and stop things from burning up or catching fire.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:31 PM

WJNFIREARMS-Great tip! I actually was JUST TOLD the same thing by a 30 year Master Toyota mechanic! He loked at it and said"No need to remove the Accumulator, just unbolt the retension band, unplug the wiring harness on it,and slowly rotate it up (wiggling it past the engine wiring harness) out of the way to get to the motor". He said you COULD develop a leak at the O-ring it pivots on, but small chance if you are careful and depending on the condition of the seal. I asked him what he would do if it was his and he said he definitely rotate it and not remove it. I'll try that tonight.

What switch is it that everyone's talking about? The main fan blower speed switch behind the HVAC control on the console? If that's the one, I pulled my console and radio out and looked at the back of the switch module. They look perfect and nothing looks burned or charred. If the is another switch (maybe I'll see it when I replace the resistor too-I've heard you might as well do the fan AND the resistor or you could be doing it twice) let me know.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:35 PM

Thanks to ALL for the help! I fixed it today. It was JUST the blower motor. You Don't have to remove the Accumulator! I ruled out the blower motor resistor and took pictures of the replacement/install and will be doing a write up to help others some time this weekend. $89.99 at Autozone (in stock!) and Lifetime warranty! Not bad to fix A/C and have a lifetime warranty.

Quick Reply: HELP!!! Smoke in the cabin!!!!