Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Help! Replaced Blower Resister now a short?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 11:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Help! Replaced Blower Resister now a short?

I own a 2000 Cherokee I purchased new, recently the blower resistor went out. I removed the glove box, right side kick panel and the underdash shield to get access to the resistor. I removed the resistor and install the new one, fixed my blower speed issue. I continued to re install the glove box, kick panel and shield, everything seemed to go fine. The Cherokee sit in my garage a couple days after I got it put back together. I went out to start it and it was completely dead. I jumped started it and let it run for about 30 mins and it was fine. I went out the next day and it was completely dead again. No interior lights or anything was left on to kill the battery. I charged the battery fully and had it tested and it tested good. I checked all the fuses in the right kick panel area and they all are fine. Next we went to the underhood power distribution center and when we removed the ignition off draw fuse the draw on the battery that we was checking with a test light went away, as soon as we re install the ignition off draw fuse the draw came back. I have no idea what could be going on here and need some help. The problem has occured since the blower resistor install I believe but I have no idea whats happening. Any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks
Old 11-26-2011, 01:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Did you pull fuses one at a time to look for the leaky circuit? Is there a light under the hood? Could you have pinched a wire reinstalling panels? Of course "ign off" fuse sounds like power to just that. Door locks, dome lights, Alarm? Radio Memory & PCM? Hazard and parking lights. Maybe listen for a relay clicking when you install that fuse.