Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

help please i have no idea here!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Question help please i have no idea here!!!

Ok so I just got this 89 xj, and I have a few questions about it as I am new to jeeps. I have seen where the '87-90 had an option with tow package, and this is a sought after and rare. I think I may have one but not sure. Its a laredo. Also there is a yellow bow under my dash that says AMC on it has a huge wireing harness going to and some adjustments, what is this? also there is a small black box velcroed to the underside of the dash on the driver side that looks like something after market plugged into it. a harness is attached to both sides of it. My haynes book tells me nothing so I hope someone can on here. Thanks
Old 02-28-2010, 11:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 90
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

The yellow box is your cruise control module.

The black box MAY be for the delay wipers. But without seeing a picture and placement of the box, I can't tell you for sure. During that era, AMC/JEEP used a number of different plug in modules like that for different things.

There was a tow package available during the Renix era. They were more common during the early portion rather than the later portion of the Renix.

But there wasn't any additional stuff under the dashboard for the factory tow package. The package consisted of the Dana 44 rear axle, a class III hitch and trailer light wiring at the hitch. It could have had taller gears or a limited slip also, but neither of those was a guarantee.