Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

help please!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default help please!

I was driving down the interstate doing fine, and suddenly I noticed I wasn't moving as fast as I was, so I stepped on the gas a little more and still went nowhere, then I floored it, and still went nowhere, eventually it started moving again, and when I got of the highway I parked and after turning the engine off I could hear what sounded to be like my rocker arms still moving, I then pulled off the oil cap and tons of smoke poured out, and I had oil everywhere that looked like it had poured right out of my oil cap, and whenever I would come to a stop it was idling terrible, almost sputtering and wanting to cut off. do any of these symptoms sound familiar to anyone? Sorry if I didn't explain it very well, but it just happened and so far those are the only symptoms I have seen. I just want to figure out if it's an engine problem or something else.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Almost sounds like when I put a piston through my block in one of my other XJ's.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996

Originally Posted by OnlyInMyXJ22
Almost sounds like when I put a piston through my block in one of my other XJ's.
I think you are right, not sure what else it could be. Don't you normally hear one hell of a sound when you do that though?
Old 10-20-2011, 10:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

what about a cracked head on the lifter side