Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

help! no heat!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 12:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: straight 6
Exclamation help! no heat!

Ok so when I baught my jeep I was told the fuse for the heater is blown. After replacing the fuse I still have zero power to my heater or headunit. My friend told me there's a way to just run a toggle switch to the back of the heater so I can have heat.(Its about 0degrees at the moment) and driving with no heat and a foggy window is getting old quick lol! I've also heard of running a toggle to the blower motor positive. Either one would be fine I just don't know what wire.. I've searched the web far and wide for a "how to" and still no luck. Someone please help me out. Winter wheelin is no fun when your legs go numb lol..
Old 01-08-2010, 05:00 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

If there is no power at the motor, your heater control switch is bad. Take the dash apart and check it out. Might be some melted stuff back there especially if the HU is not working too. Do some research and report back. Is the HU aftermarket? Maybe the PO wired some stuff wrong.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by asatxj
If there is no power at the motor, your heater control switch is bad. Take the dash apart and check it out. Might be some melted stuff back there especially if the HU is not working too. Do some research and report back. Is the HU aftermarket? Maybe the PO wired some stuff wrong.
Yea aftermarket headunit. No melted wires or nothing. Does anyone know where the power and ground to the blowermotor itsself are located? A pic would be nice. I'm not worried about propperly fixing it till spring when I re run all the audio in it anyway.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:55 AM

But how do I go about hooking a toggle switch to the blower motor? What wire is it? If anyone has done this or knows how snap a pic for me please..
Old 01-08-2010, 11:10 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Got a question,
If you don't know where the wires are how do you know there's no power to the motor? Likely the black one is ground.
Might be a resistor gone bad too.
Educational Reading
Even More Educational Reading
TMI Yet?

Last edited by asatxj; 01-08-2010 at 11:20 AM.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 91
Engine: 5.9

Simple just open the hood and the blower motor is on the passenger side of the firewall,there is a black wire ( ground ) and a green wire ( positive). Use a test light conected to the + on the batterey and push the pointd end through the coating on the black wire. If it lights up you have a good ground. If the ground is good do the same thing with the green wire and the fan shold come on, or just connect the wire to the batterey. If the fan is good just run a wire from a hot fuse to the switch and then to the possitive on the blower and whalla!!!