Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

help with misfire on 2000

Old 03-22-2012, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default help with misfire on 2000

heres the deal, ive posted this in my build thread but figured id get better response here. i just recently put a clearwater head on my 2000 which had a cracked head. got a few codes ofcourse on start up, all cleared but cylinder 5 misfire. it seemed to get a little better the more i drove it around the neighborhood and would idle fine/run on all 6 cylinders for a while, then it was intermittent. i decided to put some fuel injector cleaner in it when i drove it up the road to put gas in it... now this

did a little troubleshooting and im stumped.

cylinder 5 is not firing at all, or should i say not working b/c its got spark to the spark plug from the coil, voltage on the injector plug and the injector ohms fine.

checked injector wire voltage and it appears to be on par with all the others, checked the injectors resistance and it read about 13 ohms (including .5-.8 lead resistance) which was also what the other injectors read. also swapped the plugs around and still nothing on 5 (i can take the injector wire off 5 and it idles the same but if i remove the others it idles even worse so i know its isolated to cylinder 5 and the code confirms it)

so i figure its getting power to the injector, so i pulled the coil pack off (damn distributor-less crap), stuck a spark plug in cylinder 5 boot and ran a piece of wire from the electrode of the plug to ground, turned it over and got spark...

dirty/clogged injector perhaps? its all i can think of since its got worse since i put fuel injector cleaner in it
Old 03-22-2012, 07:34 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by matt62485
dirty/clogged injector perhaps? its all i can think of since its got worse since i put fuel injector cleaner in it
Sounds like it to me.. swap it to cyl 1 (easiest to replace later) if it moves to cyl 1 its the injector... Then get a new one(napa sold me one for 50$?) Was your fuel rail full of poo looking rust? lol They like to clog up as its a returnless sysetem and can plug injectors... #5-6 are the most common as it pushes to the back of the rail.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:39 PM

Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Gorillaxj
Sounds like it to me.. swap it to cyl 1 (easiest to replace later) if it moves to cyl 1 its the injector... Then get a new one(napa sold me one for 50$?) Was your fuel rail full of poo looking rust? lol They like to clog up as its a returnless sysetem and can plug injectors... #5-6 are the most common as it pushes to the back of the rail.
lmao i was just thinking i shouldve swapped injectors around. didnt even think of that

ill try that. thanks!
Old 03-22-2012, 07:51 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by matt62485
lmao i was just thinking i shouldve swapped injectors around. didnt even think of that

ill try that. thanks!
Somtimes the nezt step is stairing you in the face You did most the work already though! good on you!