Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

help me with this wobble

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 02:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default help me with this wobble

I have this wobble that appears at 43 mph and continues till 50. The steering wheel starts shaking back and forth (lightly). When i look out the window at the front tire, i can see it wobbling left and right (lightly). I just had these trxus tires mounted and balanced (3 times) on soft-8's. According to the 3rd shop to balance them, they were balanced to ZERO, which is perfect. Two of the wheels have over 10 oz of weight but he said they run true on the machine. I drove it on the highway and confirmed the front tire was wobbling so i pulled over, swap front and rear tires and went again. The same wobble at the exact same speed occurred. Again i got out and swapped the front tires left to right and the same wobble happened. it doesn't happen over bumps or anything. It starts up at exactly 43 and fades at 50.

What do you guys think is causing this? I just installed a new tie rod and aligned it to 1/8" toe in. New shocks and springs are on it. Bearings are tight. My rotors are warped though cuz when i stop it shakes. Could rotors cause such a wobble when accelerating at that speed?

I'm stumped...
Old 04-01-2008, 02:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Wink

my 01 did that with my 3 inch rough country lift with stock tires. I never fixed it until i put my 4.5 rustys in. I put the adjustable track bar on the 3 inch and it still did it. But i say go get a good alignment done, not by some idiot that does what the computer tells him either because they dont give you specs on something lifted, just my .02
Old 04-01-2008, 02:44 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by kmanxj5050
my 01 did that with my 3 inch rough country lift with stock tires. I never fixed it until i put my 4.5 rustys in. I put the adjustable track bar on the 3 inch and it still did it. But i say go get a good alignment done, not by some idiot that does what the computer tells him either because they dont give you specs on something lifted, just my .02

I did the alignment myself and it's dead-on 1/8" toe in (been doing it for years). I do have a 2.5" old man emu lift on it. What would an alignment shop do differently than me?
Old 04-01-2008, 03:11 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

How are your wheel bearings?
Old 04-01-2008, 03:15 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Kyle Deidrick
How are your wheel bearings?
Tight, no play.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by muddeprived
Tight, no play.
Ball joints/TRE's?
Old 04-01-2008, 05:35 PM
CF Veteran

Ball joints/TRE's?
Tie rod tube and tie rod ends are brand new. Drag link and pitman arm tie rod still factory but no visual play in them. There's a slight click or clunk when i put my hand on the drag link (or pitman arm) and my gf turns the wheel. It's very faint but there.

I haven't checked the ball joints but i did put my hi jack handle under the tire and push up while i looked at the joints and nothing movied. I couldn't push as hard as i could cuz i had to stay in that position to look. I've been suspecting the ball joints cuz bumps and cracks in the road are a little rough than what i'm used to in my TJ. But it's a uni-body and has more road noise transfer than a body on frame.

I got a pull to the right that i can't figure out either. The roads here have a lean for water to flow off but my pull requires having the steering wheel tilted about 10 degrees to keep it straight. Could be just the roads.....
Old 04-01-2008, 05:51 PM

I would go take it in for an alignment. Your steering wheel just needs to be adjusted because it is probably not adjusted properly at the draglink for the wheel to be straight. You would be amazed as to what the alignment shop can do with their machines.

If you do take it to them and you still have the wobble then you can definitely rule that one out. If that fails I would move onto the ball joints.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:54 PM
CF Veteran

I would go take it in for an alignment. Your steering wheel just needs to be adjusted because it is probably not adjusted properly at the draglink for the wheel to be straight. You would be amazed as to what the alignment shop can do with their machines.

If you do take it to them and you still have the wobble then you can definitely rule that one out. If that fails I would move onto the ball joints.
The steering wheel is straight if i drive straight on a parking lot or completely flat surface. I adjusted the draglink to center teh steering wheel when doing my alignment. I may take it to a shop to have them check the alignment anyways cuz the pull shouldn't be there IMO. Either something's wrong or the jeep just wants to go OFF ROAD instead
Old 04-01-2008, 05:55 PM

Sounds like a very good starting point.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:39 PM

Year: 1998

Sounds like you need a good steering shock. Bigger tires and lifts require stronger/stiffer steering shocks. There is even a factory TSB for TJ's with precisely the same malady.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:43 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by jeeptech
Sounds like you need a good steering shock. Bigger tires and lifts require stronger/stiffer steering shocks. There is even a factory TSB for TJ's with precisely the same malady.
My stabilizer is brand new from skyjacker. It stiffened up the steering pretty good.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by jeeptech
Just a FYI but the steering stabilizer only hides steering flaws it doesn't correct them. A perfect steering setup doesn't need one.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:59 PM

Year: 1987

any time you get on a road with a crown in it it will pull in the down hill direction. I have the truxus tires (33 12.50s) as well with a RC 4.5" and it seems to do the same thing between 40 and 50 mph. I don't think its the tires because I had them on my dodge pickup for 30k before I sold it and never had any problems with them
Old 04-02-2008, 04:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1998

Mine's doing the same thing, and about the same speed. Drove perfect with the stock wheels and 31's. I've had the 33's balanced twice and still shimmies between 42 and 48 then it's gone.

Quick Reply: help me with this wobble