Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Help Me Please! Cherokee '98 XJ Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 02:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Default Help Me Please! Cherokee '98 XJ Problems

I bought a Jeep Cherokee '98 Sport (4x4/Auto./6 cyl.) from someone in my city recently and began to only open up the Pandora's Box of unknown issues with this vehicle. I am completely new to owning a vehicle and would highly appreciate it if someone with a higher education than myself could mentor and help me in solving these troubling mechanical problems. The Cherokee is currently sitting in shop for a diagnosis but I feel that coming to this forum and talking to people of this nature would serve better (or equal) justice rather than a common mechanic who works on 50 other vehicles a day. I will post pictures as soon as I possibly can.
The issue(s) are as follows: (excuse my poor vocabulary)
1. When I first enter the XJ, I would insert my key into the ignition. Before I start the engine, I move from Park to Neutral. I then start the vehicle and it will run. (sometimes) Most of the time, when I insert the key, move from Park to Neutral, the XJ will attempt to run but falls short and I must retry (approx. 20 times). From time to time, the ignition just *clicks* and does not even attempt to run. After many attempts of trying to desperately in restart this procedure of taking out the key and inserting it again to run the engine along with long waits of 30 minutes or so, the Jeep will finally start and begin to run.
2. This never happened until about a few days (the reason why my XJ is currently in shop). When the vehicle is running and I am in neighborhood progressing around 20 miles per hour and coming up on a STOP sign slowing down, the Cherokee will completely shut off, I will lose controlling of steering (power steering), and I usually have to follow the procedure indicated in Problem #1 to have the XJ run again. Sometimes the wait is 30-50 minutes. The gauges indicate okay readings except for the far two right guages. Sometimes the alternate between each other on low readings.
3. Also recently, I have encountered some sort of acceleration issue? When I start the XJ and drive, my RPM will read with okay signs until I reach past 20 MPH where the RPM would then proceed up to 5 to 6 on the gauge whenever I am pressing on the gas pedal, but my MPH would remain at 20 or begin to decline. Then the vehicle will shut off.
Again, I am truly sorry if my wording may be completely or slightly off. I really appreciate you taking the time to read this. Anyone with any sort of answers to these problems, please help me out. I really love my XJ but it is a pain in the **** to deal with. Anyone willing to help out can message me on this thread or PM me. Whichever suits best. I may need more advice but this are current major issues right now. Also, please remember that I am 18, young and dumb so there may be some lingo I may not understand. I can fly a plane (went to pilot training school)! But I am new to this.

Many Thanks,

Christian
Old 03-21-2014, 07:08 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0

Welcome to the forum!

1. So, you're shifting to N because it won't start in P? That would be a problem with your NSS (neutral safety switch), either needing cleaning or adjustment. When you say you need to try many times to start it, is it cranking, or you're just getting the "click"? Your battery may be weak, or your battery terminals dirty/loose.

2. This is typically caused by a bad/dirty IAC (idle air control) valve and/or a dirty throttle body. However, with the long wait to re-start, I'm wondering about a bad CPS (crank position sensor) or fuel pump. I would check for spark and test fuel pressure when it won't re-start.

3. Is it staying in 1st gear? If not, check your ATF (trans fluid).

Originally Posted by Christian95
(excuse my poor vocabulary)

Oh, please! Your post was easy to read; that's 95% of it! Here's an example of the kind of post we typically see:
Originally Posted by (name hidden to protest the guilty
my 99 cherokee wont idle when you start it it just dies right off but you can give it gas and it ribs up and every thing just wont idle i have put plugs plug wires dis cap rotery buttin fuel felter one new injecter tps sensor idle air sensor map sensor cleaned throtal body new battery, computer, i dont know what else to do?

Then, we're expected to wade through that mess and try to figure out what he's saying. Why bother with punctuation, right?
Old 03-21-2014, 07:26 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0

After a little more thought, I just wanted to say that I'd first attack the issue of a weak battery and/or poor connections (connections at both ends of both battery cables). This could actually be causing multiple issues for you. These things can make our Jeeps do some strange things.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:58 AM

Hi belvedere! Sorry it has taken awhile for me to respond. School is a hell-hole right now. The mechanic still has my XJ in the shop. He said that the Cherokee was running fine (as I suspected he would mention). As soon as I get back my Cherokee I will definitely try to solve those issues with your solutions that you have mentioned. Again, I really appreciate your response. I felt like I was going nowhere with this problem. I will try to fix it up and send back a response with any recurring issues or miracles! Thank you!
Old 06-12-2014, 04:48 PM

Just an update. Jeep works fine. Most of the interior is needing fixing. I do have one problem though: Everytime I seem to slow down or break, my XJ's oil pressure drops and the engine shuts off.