Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Help, MAJOR ELECTRICAL ISSUES

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Help, MAJOR ELECTRICAL ISSUES

HI everyone, first off im new here..OK to start i have a 2000 xj sport 4x4. recently had power door lock issues which i fixed and was the passenger side control switch, not the common drivers side master control switch. So upon fixing that over the weekend my engine light has been coming on non stop and runs like crap, idles fine for a few min then misfires like crazy and just bout dies then clears itself up without doin anything to it and starts all over again. I have a code finder and got all the codes, i looked them up and its crazy how many of these things just popped up when the jeep ran perfect when i shut it off. 1st code P0443 (evap purge valve circuit), P0132 high voltage 02 sensor, p0138 high voltage 02 sensor, p0141 heater circuit 02 sensor, p0705 tranny range circuit, also had the radiator fan relay circuit code which came on twice and thats it and same with the tranny one that just came on today leaving work. I can clear the codes tranny works like normal but came on again cleared it again and so far that code staying off, only codes i have now are misfire on all cylinders, and both 02 sensors codes and evap code. what can cause all this to come on at once anyone have any problems like this at all?? Is the ecu taking a crap?
My friend has a scanner ran it on there, both 02 sensors are not changing any voltage ones at 1.5v others at .9v i know they are suppose to be switching between the 2, crank & cam sensor are fine. im at a loss its like something is telling the ecu to go nutz or something, any ideas where i can look or what could be causing this craziness??? please any info would be helpful and sorry for the long post also
Old 12-18-2012, 08:59 AM

Hello anyone?
Old 12-18-2012, 09:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

First, check the O2S heaters fuse in the PDC. It's F21, 15 amp, as seen in the attached PDC lay out.

Did you have the battery negative cable disconnected when you did the door switch repairs? Sometimes the PCM gets upset when electrical work is being performed with the battery connected.

Have the codes deleted, then check for codes returning. If you don't have a code reader or scanner that can delete codes, try disconnecting the battery negative cable for about 30 minutes and see if the codes are gone. Drive the Jeep and see if they return. May take several 'trips'.

Name:  img261.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  77.3 KB
Old 12-23-2012, 08:28 PM

thanks i will have to check this out. Yes i have a code reader and can delete the codes as well which i do. I also unhooked the battery at work one time for at least 9 hours, hooked it back up at end of day and within 5min of warming up same codes, and then it was misfiring, and back firing through intake, and would rev up, got pissed held it to the floor until it cleared itself up then drove bout halfway home (20 miles) and then acted up again. jeep has been parked ever since, im tired of it. put new ground end on cable, and cleaned all grounds, (block, firewall and inner fenders) started it up within couple minutes same crap and codes, at idle misses to the point to where it just bout dies then it picks itself back up again idles normal (not missin) for a while then back to misfiring and bout to die, hit the throttle and it clears it right up but sometimes she dont want to rev up without backfiring through intake. I just ordered the 02 sensors, and gooing to replace the crank sensor right away, should have those by the end of the week, hope that fixes it!! But i also noticed my factory ground cable seems to be in bad shape. i cut it down a little bit and stripped it down some also and the wire was still corroded pretty bad,(greenish color and a decend amount of white powdery stuff all in the wire as well. Probably be a good idea just to replace the entire ground wire i bet??
Old 12-23-2012, 08:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Did I miss something, where did you get a code for an intermittent CPS? First thing I would do is insure you have an electrically stable ground from the engine to the chasis. Then clear the codes, see what happens.