Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Help: Loud Rear Differential Noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Default Help: Loud Rear Differential Noise

New to the Jeep World

Sold my truck and bought a 99 Jeep Cherokee about 3 weeks ago to get debt free. A week ago it developed a loud grinding noise in the rear differential when I would coast at 35-60 mph after I took out the blocks in the rear and put in a new leaf pack.
I took it in to my shop and they said it was the rear wheel bearings, so I had them fix it, then it grew to the inner wheel bearings, and a week later, $1100 spent it is still howling. They said to bring it back in 500 miles so they there was further damage done, if the gears need to be rebuilt for $2000-$3000.

From the invoice, they replaced:
Wheel Seal
Axle Housing Cover Gasket
Differential Bearing
Pinion Seal
Wheel Bearing
Pinion Bearing Cone
Pinion Bearing Cup
Pinion Outer Bearing Cone
Pinion Bearing Cup
Pinion Bearing Spacer
Axle Shaft Bearing - Remove & Replace

So in the end, I am still not sure what was broken and what was fixed.
I have taken my vehicles there for about 2.5 years now, I don't know if I'm being taken or what?
Old 11-29-2013, 05:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by Bacchus
Sold my truck and bought a 99 Jeep Cherokee about 3 weeks ago to get debt free.
Bad idea lol, Cherokees suck up money like a black hole. JY differential for ~ $250 (make sure the gear ratio is the same) and you should be GTG.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:28 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Overall, a Cherokee is pretty reasonable. Try daily driving an Audi and you'll find out what a money pit is!
Old 11-29-2013, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
Bad idea lol, Cherokees suck up money like a black hole. JY differential for ~ $250 (make sure the gear ratio is the same) and you should be GTG.
Is was that or keep making payments on a truck that was going to need a lot of work soon. Eh, don't know how I feel about it now.

I know i can pick up Dana 30 or Chrsy 8.25 with stock gears for $200 around here, does anyone know a ball park labor cost for remove and replace on a axle swap?
Old 11-29-2013, 05:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Shop time is ~ $100 / hr. Rear differential complete R&R I'm going say 3.5 - 4.
Old 11-29-2013, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
Shop time is ~ $100 / hr. Rear differential complete R&R I'm going say 3.5 - 4.
Damn it...now I'm thinking I got taken by the shop. I asked them about swapping out the rear axle before all the other work was done since I seen them for a few hundred around here. They told me it was going to be a $2000 labor job if I chose to go that way.

I'm already $1000 there...
Old 11-29-2013, 06:10 PM

Year: 1998

Pinion bearing? Either way you should have an 8.25 but you should post a pic to be sure. You can do the axle swap with hand tools and a lot of elbow grease.
Old 11-29-2013, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by blakexcore
Pinion bearing? Either way you should have an 8.25 but you should post a pic to be sure. You can do the axle swap with hand tools and a lot of elbow grease.
It sounds exactly like this
Yeah I got a 8.25.

Does anyone else understand the shop telling me to drive it for 500 miles while its grinding and making that noise before they check it again?
Old 11-29-2013, 06:47 PM

It sounds exactly like this 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee Rear End Howling/Growling - YouTube
Yeah I got a 8.25.

Does anyone else understand the shop telling me to drive it for 500 miles while its grinding and making that noise before they check it again?

Doesn't sound like a pinion bearing. No idea why they would say that. I don't know anything about axles but I know I would have just replaced the axle in the first place.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:15 PM
kgm
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 99

Put ANY rear differential in it. You can probably get a Dana 35 from a guy who is upgrading his offroad rig for FREE, or very close to free. Put the rear end on jack stands, cut off the shocks, run your brake lines, a few other parts, and your leaf springs. I'd go back and try to get some of your money back since they didn't fix anything.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000

It sounds exactly like this 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee Rear End Howling/Growling - YouTube
Yeah I got a 8.25.

Hmmmm, mine sounds like that too. I have different gears and a detroit though. Let me know what you find out!
Old 11-29-2013, 09:18 PM

Year: 97

sounds to me like they should have given you a hypothetical in replacement to let you know it may or may not fix the problem, if they in fact just said its going to be a thousand bucks to fix and its not fixed I'd be seeing red.... they do this for a living if they are not sure what would have fixed the problem in the first place they shouldn't have started digging around...

I too would want half my money back (at minimum) and chalk it up as a learning experience.. if they don't want to negotiate I'd have the BBB arbitrate for me....

one of the many reasons I don't like going to a shop, if I can't figure something out I'll take it to a stealership for diagnosis and then fix the problem myself... they're typically pretty reasonable considering they work on the same type of cars all day long.. (diesels in my case)
Old 11-29-2013, 09:45 PM
CF Veteran

$1100 spent it is still howling.
I would not be a happy camper, and I would be asking the shop owner how he was going to make it right.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1994 1993

New to the Jeep World........Sold my truck and bought a 99 Jeep Cherokee about 3 weeks ago to get debt free. A week ago it developed a loud grinding noise in the rear differential when I would coast at 35-60 mph
My '94 XJ has been making a noticable grinding noise from the rear for 6 years now. Other than the sound it runs fine so I've just gotten use to it.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by belvedere
I would not be a happy camper, and I would be asking the shop owner how he was going to make it right.
X2, and a quote of $2,000-3,000 to rebuild it with new gears are they out of their F'-ing mind? $1,100 should have covered bearings and gears. For $3k you can get a really nice built Dana 60 and have money left over.

I would recommend as others said and get a good junkyard axle. You can easily find Chrysler 8.25"s for less than $300 (often less than $200) and D35s are even cheaper. It is a simple bolt in (as long as your bolts aren't too rusted) and only takes a few hours, a jack/stands, and basic hand tools.

Quick Reply: Help: Loud Rear Differential Noise