Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

help with lighting

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 08:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 inline 6
Exclamation help with lighting

Im a little confused. I am in no way a electrician.
So i need help from some to explain to me about wiring up extra lights and stuff. When you mount extra lights to a roof rack or bumper and then run them to a switch inside the jeep do you use a fuse, or a relay in the circut, and where do i mount the fuses/relays. should i fab another relay/fuse box and have it under the hood or in the cab some where? Im just so lost in this subject so some one PLEASE enlighten me on a electrical lesson so i can get some lights mounted up later on down the road.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 v8

Originally Posted by 00XJ
Im a little confused. I am in no way a electrician.
So i need help from some to explain to me about wiring up extra lights and stuff. When you mount extra lights to a roof rack or bumper and then run them to a switch inside the jeep do you use a fuse, or a relay in the circut, and where do i mount the fuses/relays. should i fab another relay/fuse box and have it under the hood or in the cab some where? Im just so lost in this subject so some one PLEASE enlighten me on a electrical lesson so i can get some lights mounted up later on down the road.
Well for starts, always use a fuse. Circuit protection is a must for anything electrical. Better to pop a fuse than start a fire.

Personally (along with most people) I ALWAYS use a relay. It makes for easier wire routing and pretty well ensures you get full power to the lights. Do a little bit of homework on relays, if you have questions in particular, ask!

You can make a box and tuck it under the dash, or do them separate, and mount them....thats all pretty well up to you. I have always hidden relays and stuff under the dash on the drivers side...I currently have a relay box/fuse box all in one under the dash for my latest crazy lighting adventure I did....

So to sum it up, ALWAYS use fuses. Period. Most people use relays, and HIGHLY recommend it. Where you mount the stuff and how, is all up to you! Just try to keep the fuse as close as you can to the battery/power source!

If you read up on the stuff and have more ?'s again just ask, there is enough people on here that can point you in the right direction

HTH!

Another thing you may want to research is where to put the switches....that usually comes to be a big issue from time to time on here.

ADD- Heres a link I forgot I had bookmarked, it deals with some general relay info, it comes in pretty useful!

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech...ry/relays.html

Last edited by storm101; 02-09-2010 at 08:50 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by storm101
Well for starts, always use a fuse. Circuit protection is a must for anything electrical. Better to pop a fuse than start a fire.

Personally (along with most people) I ALWAYS use a relay. It makes for easier wire routing and pretty well ensures you get full power to them. Do a little bit of homework on relays, if you have questions in particular, ask!

You can make a box and tuck it under the dash, or do them separate, and mount them....thats all pretty well up to you. I have always hidden relays and stuff under the dash on the drivers side...I currently have a relay box/fuse box all in one under the dash for my latest crazy lighting adventure I did....

So to sum it up, ALWAYS use fuses. Period. Most people use relays, and HIGHLY recommend it. Where you mount the stuff and how, is all up to you! Just try to keep the fuse as close as you can to the battery/power source!

If you read up on the stuff and have more ?'s again just ask, there is enough people on here that can point you in the right direction

HTH!

Another thing you may want to research is where to put the switches....that usually comes to be a big issue from time to time on here.

ADD- Heres a link I forgot I had bookmarked, it deals with some general relay info, it comes in pretty useful!

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech...ry/relays.html
ok thanks bro. so relays are better than fuses. i think ill just make a relay box under the glove compartment. And for the switches i was going to make a switch box and buy a thing of like 10 switches off ebay for a good price. do switches have a power limit?
Old 02-09-2010, 08:56 PM
CF Veteran

ok thanks bro. so relays are better than fuses. i think ill just make a relay box under the glove compartment. And for the switches i was going to make a switch box and buy a thing of like 10 switches off ebay for a good price. do switches have a power limit?
Either way, you need a fuse! lol

Yes switches do have limits, check them out, but if you run relays, you dont really need to worry about it too much.

If you have some cash to burn on the setup, check out my pics....the switches and stuff are pricey, but its pretty sweet....

Again, ALWAYS use fuses. Relays are a different beast!
Old 02-09-2010, 09:00 PM

aite man you lost me which should i use fuses or relays? cause if i do this i wanna do it right so i dont have to go back and tinker with it over and over again.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:09 PM
CF Veteran

aite man you lost me which should i use fuses or relays? cause if i do this i wanna do it right so i dont have to go back and tinker with it over and over again.
....A fuse is a circuit overload protection device. Anything electrical needs one, in case for some reason it starts pushing too many amps through the circuit, the fuse will pop, instead of the wiring getting to hot, melting, and starting on fire. Its a protection, you need it period.

Relays are more of a secondary switch type unit....instead of running ALL the power from the batt. through the switch then to the load component, a relay allows a "signal" current from a switch, to "turn on" the relay, which transfers power from the battery to the load. (load being lights)....it allows for smaller wiring to be ran to the switch.

This pretty well allows you to use any switch (within reason) to control your lights.....relays can handle more amps than most switches (including high dollar ones).

ALWAYS run fuses, relays are OPTIONAL but HIGHLY recommended!
Old 02-09-2010, 09:12 PM
CF Veteran

Oh and again, I suggest reading in that link i posted for you, it may help out more!
Old 02-09-2010, 09:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

im running relays and no fuses.. did it on my cj7 for years with no problem.. not saying it's safe because the guy knows whats he's talking about.. thier have been fires but if u want to be cheap like me and risk it you can
Old 02-09-2010, 09:15 PM
I like it in the dirt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2003
Engine: 4.0

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/ho...per-roof-2838/
Old 02-09-2010, 09:24 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by ckysodkorn_xj
im running relays and no fuses.. did it on my cj7 for years with no problem.. not saying it's safe because the guy knows whats he's talking about.. thier have been fires but if u want to be cheap like me and risk it you can
You do realize fuses/holders are cheaper than relays right? lol...
Old 02-10-2010, 08:11 AM

thank you itsaxjthing that was pretty extensive. Is it possible to get a fuse box/ relay box from a jy and use it? and when you wire thing up is there a fuse to every relay? im still a bit lost i absolutly suck a electrician stuff.

Last edited by 00XJ; 02-10-2010 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:19 PM
I like it in the dirt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2003
Engine: 4.0

I just have inline fuses on all my power sources. easiest way to do it IMO
Old 02-10-2010, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by itsanxjthing
I just have inline fuses on all my power sources. easiest way to do it IMO
as easy as that woruld be i dont wanna just solder up some wires to a fuse and hide em some where i would prefer to have a fuse box or a relay box.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:08 PM

anyone?
Old 02-12-2010, 04:18 PM

ok....icould use some help if anyone has anymore info.

Quick Reply: help with lighting