Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

help keep my XJ alive!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 98' and 99'
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default help keep my XJ alive!!!!

So heres the deal,
I went riding and came to a point where there was a tree on the trail and when I went over it, im guessing a branch riped my caty off (not completly,just dangling) instantly i noticed my jeep was LOUD and the check engine light came on.

Got the caty put back on and the check engine light was still on. After about a day or two my jeep started "sputtering" and loosing power. When i was driving my Check Engine light was flashing like a pulse. Immediatly I got it towed him and now im trying to locate the problem.

It starts awesome,. even idle great, I can rev it in Park or Neutral and still seems fine, but when I put it in drive and start rolling well that when the sputtering kicks in and notice the power loss.

Please help.. I love my Xj but man she gives me problems/
Old 09-08-2009, 06:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.o

Originally Posted by JSwamper
So heres the deal,
I went riding and came to a point where there was a tree on the trail and when I went over it, im guessing a branch riped my caty off (not completly,just dangling) instantly i noticed my jeep was LOUD and the check engine light came on.

Got the caty put back on and the check engine light was still on. After about a day or two my jeep started "sputtering" and loosing power. When i was driving my Check Engine light was flashing like a pulse. Immediatly I got it towed him and now im trying to locate the problem.

It starts awesome,. even idle great, I can rev it in Park or Neutral and still seems fine, but when I put it in drive and start rolling well that when the sputtering kicks in and notice the power loss.

Please help.. I love my Xj but man she gives me problems/
When your cat was damaged, how are the 02 sensors? a shorted o2 can donasty things as well. when your check engine light flashes it usually means misfire, hows the tune-up stuff??
Old 09-08-2009, 07:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

You must have danaged the harness for the o2 sensor, and that's what set the CEL. The light flashing is a warning not to drive far it's in limp mode. Check the codes this way: Jeep Horizons :: View topic - Jeep Computer codes (OBDI & OBDII)
Old 09-08-2009, 11:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0, k&n intake Flomaster cat back

get the computer scanned, should tell you where to start.