Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

HELP! Jeep XJ Audio/Visual Modifications

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 08:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default HELP! Jeep XJ Audio/Visual Modifications

Hey guys, new to the forum and I could really use some help. I'm considering upping the ante on my audio in the summer and I don't know a damn thing about audio upgrades. I definitely need new speakers throughout (my front left speaker dead due to leaving my window open during the rain). I'm considering a sub woofer but without the bulky box housing - are the ones provided by companies like quadratec that go into the side paneling any good?

also need recommendations on head unit, amp, etc.

also would like to replace my dome lights for some red ones. where could I find such a thing? also a thin red illuminating wire to go around the top perimeter of the interior is being considered.

and are there specific places to go/paints to use to customize your dash trim? how to?

this might all seem absurd, but i think it will look cool. any help will be appreciated
Old 09-16-2010, 08:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by KraegNET
Hey guys, new to the forum and I could really use some help. I'm considering upping the ante on my audio in the summer and I don't know a damn thing about audio upgrades. I definitely need new speakers throughout (my front left speaker dead due to leaving my window open during the rain). I'm considering a sub woofer but without the bulky box housing - are the ones provided by companies like quadratec that go into the side paneling any good?

also need recommendations on head unit, amp, etc.

also would like to replace my dome lights for some red ones. where could I find such a thing? also a thin red illuminating wire to go around the top perimeter of the interior is being considered.

and are there specific places to go/paints to use to customize your dash trim? how to?

this might all seem absurd, but i think it will look cool. any help will be appreciated

Loudness or sound quality?

Price range for speakers? Head Unit? Sub? Amp?
Old 09-16-2010, 01:04 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

Low ball budget of 1250, could go as high as 2250. Would prefer loudness over sound quality but middle range preferred. I have a head unit that has been in two xjs that were totaled while they were parked, so probably going to get a new one of those.

Any website recommendations for audio and lighting?
Old 09-16-2010, 01:14 PM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

Go for sound quality/efficiency over loudness.

Diamond Audio Is a great bang for you buck. They have a good quality product with GREAT efficiency! I run their Hex Series and can not complain one bit, even the D3 series component speakers (one of the lowest brands) is comparable to most mid-upper level components in other brands.

get component speakers not coaxial speakers, get a 4 way amp with the correct power-channel rating to power them(Rockford Fosgate are great amps, really top notch quality and the best band for your buck). Then decide on sub(s) and get a matching sub/amp set up.(again Rockford Fosgate is agreat bang for your buck) as far as a deck, look into what YOU like, as long as it has pre-outs built in to feed the amps you are good.

JL audio is great as well.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:18 PM
CF Veteran

Mix and match is always your best bet.

SQL and SPL Speakers-Eclipse SE6500(price is good and quality is amazing.
Subwoofer-DD500b/Fi SSd10/RE/Pyle
Amp-Sundown, RD, Pheonix Gold

Headunit-Pioneer, Kenwood, Alpine

Diamond is eh, JL is over rated and overpriced crap. Fosgate is out of date, amps overheat with the low impedance of todays drivers.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:33 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 inline 6

id get memphis pr series. name brand and good boom for the buck.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:34 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by majormatt125
id get memphis pr series. name brand and good boom for the buck.
Except they are having problems with surrounds tearing now.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:48 PM

deck-alpine cda-9886
mids and tweets-alpine type s (what ever size u need)
amp for midsand tweets alpine mrp-m350 4 chan
subs 2 alpine type r 10s
amps for subs 2 alpine mrp-m1000
one sub per amp wired in series
and a 3 - 4 ferrid capicitor or gel cell
this set up will cost aprox2000- 2500 if u cant get a discount anywere
Old 09-16-2010, 01:55 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 85xj
deck-alpine cda-9886
mids and tweets-alpine type s (what ever size u need)
amp for midsand tweets alpine mrp-m350 4 chan
subs 2 alpine type r 10s
amps for subs 2 alpine mrp-m1000
one sub per amp wired in series
and a 3 - 4 ferrid capicitor or gel cell
this set up will cost aprox2000- 2500 if u cant get a discount anywere
Type S-Overpriced Junk

3-4 Farad? No he needs a upgraded battery/alt. Read up on stiffening capacitors. http://www.caraudioforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26

Only reason why it will cost that much is cause most everything alpine is overpriced.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:39 PM
CF Veteran

Sorry to double post, but I posted some of the things said in here in a car audio forum where I am alot. These are the responses just to give you an idea.

About the alpine post-
Originally Posted by darkstar286
jesus christ, where was this?
Originally Posted by psyco_fade
Alpine is generic crap. Alpine HUs are ****in ugly.
Originally Posted by Pirate Mafia
Im crying. Junk-Alpine, Kicker, Sony, JL, Lightning, Fosgate, Diamond, Kenwood(speakers/drivers), hifonics, etc.

Not Junk-DD, DC, RD, Fi, AA, etc.
About 96_xjs post-
Originally Posted by imguessingurgay
Right...
Learning whats great and whats **** isnt hard
Its not rocket science.
Originally Posted by what the heck?
sony is sooo amazing guys, almost as good as diamond audio. but jl is what pros use. :facepalm:
Originally Posted by pballstarx124x
JL? Good? Wtf
Old 09-16-2010, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel
Type S-Overpriced Junk

3-4 Farad? No he needs a upgraded battery/alt. Read up on stiffening capacitors. http://www.caraudioforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26

Only reason why it will cost that much is cause most everything alpine is overpriced.
i really beg to differ on that statement......it is crap if you dont know how to hook it up properly and how to tune it properly at the correct freq.for the vehical (for my cherokee 39.864 hz bumps the hell out of my rig) and its crystal clear and hits tight...ive made pheonix gold and pyramid sound good as well proper enclousers proper ohm loads sooo..... bla!!!
Old 09-17-2010, 07:33 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 85xj
i really beg to differ on that statement......it is crap if you dont know how to hook it up properly and how to tune it properly at the correct freq.for the vehical (for my cherokee 39.864 hz bumps the hell out of my rig) and its crystal clear and hits tight...ive made pheonix gold and pyramid sound good as well proper enclousers proper ohm loads sooo..... bla!!!
That statement doesnt make sense

Type S are component speakers, you will not get any gains from hooking them to a external amplifier instead of the head unit. There is no correct frequency for the vehicle, frequency varies by the current being passed through the coil and minorly depends on the enclosure. Not vehicle. Pheonix Gold is good, Pyramid, not so much. What do you mean by "proper ohm load", that doesnt make any sense either. There is no proper or improper IMPEDANCE, the only thing you should worry about with impedance is matching the speakers to HU and Amplifier to drivers.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:52 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 litre

if you want the loudness u i would suggest kicker. the l7 with the square design will move alot of air. i been in jeeps with them and they sound good. the sub would need to go in a box and they are heavy but for what your looking for thats a loud sub. headunit i would go pioneer my friend just installed one with a sub it works great and controls hertz. amp go rockford fosgate or jl audio.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:12 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by JJaycXj
if you want the loudness u i would suggest kicker. the l7 with the square design will move alot of air. i been in jeeps with them and they sound good. the sub would need to go in a box and they are heavy but for what your looking for thats a loud sub. headunit i would go pioneer my friend just installed one with a sub it works great and controls hertz. amp go rockford fosgate or jl audio.

Oh boy. Someone suggested kicker. Kicker is only loud cause its mechanically noisey, they SQL is terrible, along with the price, CS is bad, and they like to overheat when pushed to max rated power.

And I quote a moderators signature(Anthony Smyth) from a car audio forum-"Kicker is like an *******, the only thing coming out of them is ****".

Rockford Fosgate was good, was, their prime ended around 2002. All their equipment is now made in china because they were bought out about 8 years ago.

JL, if you like wasting money on overrated equipment, please do. A 2000wrms driver for $500? What the hell are they thinking. DD and Fi will sell you a driver thats cheaper and will blow any JL out of the water.

JL, Kicker, Alpine, Sony, JBL, Fosgate, Lightning, Diamond, Fusion, etc is all Generic Equipment. Generic in car audio/video means all marketing hype, all marketing hype means junk.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:50 AM

for the red dome light. get led replacements off ebay. rigid loop is the kind that all cherokees have i believe but double check. it'll be like $11 each but they look good. I havent installed my white ones yet as they are here yet lol but they should be big enough to put out some light

Quick Reply: HELP! Jeep XJ Audio/Visual Modifications